Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My depressed looking hen  (Read 3337 times)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
My depressed looking hen
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:06 am »
Good morning, have a little problem with one of my hens - they are at point of lay at the moment (I think), for the past week I have been finding the white and yolk of an egg for the past week in the hen's coop.  We were to get the hens at POL but they came much younger and I'm only guessing that this is how you can tell. 

Now down to my problem, one of my hens a RIR seems a bit depressed looking, there has been no attack that I know of but since Monday evening I have spotted her walking around either with the others or not, her Head kept into her chest not outstretched at all, sometimes dosing off while standing outside but a lot of the time with her right eye closed.  She is only picking at food and spends a lot of time in the coop.  Yesterday I tried Doganjo's recipe and put it into the coop with her, she didn't touch it but when I took it out to the rest of them yesterday evening she hopped out and picked a bit with them.  The rest of them devoured it!  I have also seen her drink but don't know if this can be "normal" behaviour for hens.  Is she too young to be broody when they seem at POL? 

Any suggestions would be grateful to put my mind at ease  :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: My depressed looking hen
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:18:34 am »
I'm new to chickens too so not sure I can be of much help.

I think the main sign of being broody is sitting on the nest all the time.  So as yours is up and about doesn't make it sound as though she is broody, along with her not laying eggs yet either.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help soon.

Take a look at the previous posts with the porridge and honey recipe, that might be good.

I hope she feels better soon.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:16 am »
give her a small soluble asprin. it works wonders

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »
keep her separate but in view of theother hens. give her a multi vitamin supplement and hope. she will either get better they really do or you will find her dead one day. for her to be showing her condition is what you need to be concerned about. she has been wormed and checked for lice/mites its the right time of year. if she is just about to start laying then this maybe her problem.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:55 am »
Thanks for your replies guys.  I was at home all day yesterday and kept a good eye on her.  She stayed out all day yesterday and did her own thing.  If she thought food was comming then she ran with the rest of the hens but still has her head tucked back to her body.  We are due to have the vet check up our calves next week so will have him look at her if she is still the same way. Will try out your suggestions over the weekend and might give them some more porridge.  They loved it when I last gave it to them, although I was thinking of keeping it as something to warm them in the winter by giving it to them luke warm.  Will let ye know how I get on with her.  Thanks again  ;D

chickchick

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:58:54 pm »
have you checked for lice?  You need to get right down to the skin inbetween the feathers.  One of mine did this recently and when i had a closer look absolutely crawling in the b...ers!!!!!!!!!!!  A good dose of louise powder might help and again in 7 - 10 days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS