Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken run advice needed  (Read 2149 times)

Jake

• Joined Mar 2013
Chicken run advice needed
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
I am new to chickens and was wondering what type of wire I should use for my chicken run?

There seems to be lots of conflicting advice. For example, some say 16 gauge some say 19 gauge, and the hole size, 2" x 2", 1" x 1", 1/2" x 1".  So confusing!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Chicken run advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:55 am »
If you're planning on your girls having chickalumps then I would go for small guage as they can't stick their wee heads through and get strangled.  Also less chance of mice getting in.  We also put a bed of prickly gorse (but other pricklies would do) under the houses and around the perimeter of the runs (make sure no gaps!) as this stops the rats coming in.  Don't over-worry about what size, small means less gets in and out though  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
Mine is 19 gauge chicken wire. I think in theory a fox could chew through it but tbh, he'd have to be completely desperate and I shut all the poultry up at night anyway. I went more for the approach that it should go high and underground. I can't remember the size of the holes but small - I'd guess 1.5 inch, maybe 1 inch. I do know that mice can get in though - I found two drowned in the duck bath one time - but I can't imagine rats can (unless they can squeeze around the door somehow).

Having said that, i'm thinking of setting up a bigger run for next year when I'll have more breeding groups and if I do, I want to get weldmesh. The problem with the chicken wire is that it's hard to get tight so it flops about a bit. I haven't costed out the weldmesh yet though - definitely a lot more expensive.

While you're planning, make sure you think about the posts too - better to get good quality treated wood while you're at it. We only have one bit that wasn't pretreated timber which was the gate and it's already showing signs of weathering and that's only a few months in.

H

Jake

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:29 pm »
Thanks to you both. 

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:39:26 am »
Nice tip about the gorse... I'll give that a go myself  :thumbsup:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:31 am »
and make sure you get big posts, so if you find your fence isn't high enough, you can add more mesh without having to heighten the posts which can make it look a bit shanty town (voice of experience) :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:05 am »
look out for deals on weldmesh-Screwfix had a great 2 for 1 offer last year and I also picked up a bargain on eBay.
I opted for making panels which are held together with cable ties with the odd fence pole for stability. One big run over the winter moved weekly (with electic tape round) and now two small runs for breeding pens moved every other day (they do get to free range when I'm about). I use bird mesh for the roof. If you are moving them about regularly, vermin doesn't seem to be a problem IME.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS