Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know about Cheviots?  (Read 2275 times)

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
Does anyone know about Cheviots?
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »
Been offered 2 ewes with lambs, I'm not familiar with this breed is anyone else?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Does anyone know about Cheviots?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:54 pm »
Em, there is a growing band of spinners on here. You should join us. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:56:38 pm »
Been offered 2 ewes with lambs, I'm not familiar with this breed is anyone else?

I'm hoping to use a cheviot (north country) on my Shetlands next year - the cross is quite popular for them crossing with a terminal sire as it has more size thna the Shetland but has the Shetlands easy lambing ability, so I will be selling the ewe lambs and eating the boys. Will also continue with pure Shetland breeding for replacements and fun of course.

Not terribly meaty either pure or crossed with Shetland but very hardy and easy. My Shetlands don't herd either, just scatter so I already have to bucket train anyway, as I don't have a dog.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:41:39 pm »
Not particularly meaty sheep but hardy and good mothers. Cross with a blue faced leicester to produce a good breeding mule. We had a few. Nice sheep to keep but like any hill breed they can jump and climb rather well.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »
Four different types    SOUTH  COUNTRY  small stocky , will fatten on very little, good mothers rather flighty , lives on green hills.        NORTH country  hill   ( lairg  )  medium sized again fattens easily , good mothers , lives on all types of hill .    NORTH country  border   large sheep , fattens easily , ok mothers , live on good to poor lower ground  .      NORTH country  caithness  very large sheep , slow to fatten , ok mothers  , live on good ground.    ALL white faced ,no horns on females , good quality wool, cross well onto many breeds to improve conformation :farmer:                                                                                                                                   Forgot the BRECKNOCK which is just a local variant on the SOUTH COUNTRY.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:18:44 pm by shep53 »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:17:46 am »
We occasionally buy North Country Cheviots (at least I think it's those and not the Hill Cheviots - we buy the larger of the two types and I struggle to remember which is named which.)  They're teeny little bunny rabbits when we buy them in August / September, and on good grass with light feeding, by Christmas or New Year they'll be away.  We buy good ones, and they mature to fulfill the supermarket requirements (18-21kg max deadweight) at good grades.

We have had the odd Cheviot ewe, and they've been flighty as heck, show no respect for the dogs - so when we had some rather nice females in the batch of stores we bought one year, we decided not to even keep one. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:21:41 pm »
Different strokes for different folks  ,  600 cheviots here and much quieter then the blackies or swales which they are replacing

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »
Our neighbour buys them for use in his commercial flock as he is very pleased with them. He buys Brecknock Hill variety.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:36 am »
600 cheviots here and much quieter then the blackies or swales which they are replacing

Oh, aye - but that's not saying much!   ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS