Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweet cherry tree - hardly any fruit!  (Read 3916 times)

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
Sweet cherry tree - hardly any fruit!
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »
When we moved to our current house a few years ago, we inherited an almost dead sweet cherry tree. I cut off all the dead bits and hoped that it might survive. Surprisingly, it not only survived but flourished into a very healthy tree which provided us with a huge crop of cherries for a couple of years. However, over the last couple of years the crop has diminished to almost nothing. The tree itself looks healthy enough. It is in an area of the garden which we rather grandly refer to as "the orchard" where there are several fruit trees, including a cooking cherry tree which consistently produces loads of fruit. This area has largely been taken over by nettles unfortunately, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions anyone??

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sweet cherry tree - hardly any fruit!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:35:52 pm »
Nope - we've never had a cherry off our two trees - birds always get there first.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:50:00 am »
We used to be the same when we had cherry trees- the birds always got there first.

I do know with our other fruit trees, they do go through cycles. You might get a bumper crop one year, then a poor crop, then a couple of ok crops before a bumper one again. But I think thats more to do with the weather conditions.

Beth

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:11:01 pm »
I planted some 2 years ago and we had a handful last year. Although the weather was better this year and they started off really well, by now have shrivelled up and turned brown. I think cherries are just difficult, dependent on so many factors. I do remember my nan's morello tree crop with nostalgia, but she also had lots of blackbirds and lots of redcurrants without covering anything (bet she was a witch and knew the magic spells). :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS