Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on applying for a starter farm  (Read 3096 times)

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
advice on applying for a starter farm
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
Hi all..I'm looking to apply for a starter farm being offered by the Forestry Commission and wondered if any had any tips or advice to help with my application process.  :eyelashes:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: advice on applying for a starter farm
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
Make a good business plan , get enough capital , they like applicants to be young and motivated for the long term . they tend towards organic and sustainability.  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:11:27 pm »
I think it helps if you have farm experience working for someone whether it be family or as a job ie the only thing that isn't in place is the ability to buy the farm. I think it is unlikely that someone who was a complete start from scratch in all aspects would have much chance of winning what is I think a v competitive almost competition (just going by the profiles I read of the couple  of farms that have been created and people chosen for them so far).

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:15:52 am »
Thanks..I'll give it a go, I have no choice..I've been farming part time for a few years and full time for about one having taken on the tenancy of a farm but due to a landlord who has in no way fulfilled his obligations I'm having to leave to be replaced by wind turbines! So now I have stock to fill a farm but no farm.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »
You might have a good chance in that case, definitely go for it. And good luck with your application.  :fc: :fc: :fc:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »

Good luck  :fc:
Anne

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:47 am »
Best of luck with the application - good advice given above.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:39:40 am »
My only advice would be make an impression at the viewing days. Try and find out what they are looking for in a candidate and base your application around that. If they are the ones currently available in Ayrshire or Stirling they have already been. The starter farms with the forestry commission have the most comprehensive application forms I have ever come across for a farm and are incredibly competitive. They leave pretty much nothing to hide. Make sure you have plenty of capital to put down and have proof of this. There is no ingoing with the forestry commission which is a massive help but most farms we have tried with expect a bare minimum 30 to 40k of funds to be available in stock or funds. However if you already have the stock to fill a farm and have been farming fulltime in your own right I think you would struggle to get one with them as the might think you  are not technically a new entrant.
They lean towards people they think can work with them and mutually promote the work they do. Be prepared to do talks to schools/agricultural colleges.
Above all else, be prepared for a lot of rejections before you finally get a tenancy!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:50:19 am by moony »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS