Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lime  (Read 2789 times)

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
Lime
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
Can I use lime with sheep on the field? We have poor grazing that looks yellow compared to neighbouring fields, don't know why and am about to do a ph test. Any other ideas?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Lime
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:47:37 am »
I wouldn't use lime with livestock in the field. Lime, and wait a few days before putting livestock back on it.

Beth

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »
You want to wait until the lime has been dissolved by the rain and absorbed by the soil, harrow first and then roll to speed the process considerably. When dry I have had it take 4wks to dissolve down.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »
How much does lime cost, how much do you need per acre and how is it best applied?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »
It depends on what ph your soil is how much you should apply. We do ours to try and control the buttercups, but we have a very small field (under 1/2 acre). 3-4 bags is enough for ours, and we spread it by hand as it is such a small space.

If you search on here for liming, there are quite a lot of useful posts. I saw one quote saying they had been told £260 for 5 acre.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS