Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buck and wild rabbit visitors.  (Read 5307 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Buck and wild rabbit visitors.
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:43:32 pm »
Each night we have a few wild rabbits come and visit our meat rabbits. They chat through the fence but after a week or so of this our very large buck seems to have had his nose badly bitten. Our West Highland (dog) will chase the wild rabbits off but she likes her sleep.
I was thinking of putting an electric fence around the rabbit runs. Any thoughts of how best to keep the wild rabbits away? We have not had any problems in the veg patch etc with wild rabbits in the past so maybe a new group  will S-d off after a few zaps on the fence.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Buck and wild rabbit visitors.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »
Free meat with a air rifle  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »
Air riffle ? They are so brazen that I can stand and have my morning tea within 10 meters of them so I am thinking I could put salt on their tale then catch them when they lick it off. seriousley - I will investigate getting an air gun here in France.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:27 pm »
as far as i know, the limits applied to airrifles here, ie 12lb/sqft pressure dont apply in france. you can buy iirc up to 30lb. that would require a proper firearms liscence here. my airifle at legal max here will flip a rabbit over at 25 yrds.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »
I would try the lekky fence. nasty abscesses can happen with nose bites, plus I have known rabbits to mate through fencing ;) 
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:35:34 am »
Air riffle ? They are so brazen that I can stand and have my morning tea within 10 meters of them so I am thinking I could put salt on their tale then catch them when they lick it off. seriousley - I will investigate getting an air gun here in France.

Our local farmer in Indre-et-Loire had a 9mm "garden gun" (shotgun) that he used for lapins - very light and aiming not a problem as long as they're not too close to your warren
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:41 am »
Look up Australian rabbit traps on google .
The one using a sunken  barrel with a tipping trap door in the lid and nets to guide then over  it works very well .
Lift the rabbits out using a loop of cord down a bit of water pipe for the coup de gras
 For bait use thin carrot peelings around the area and over the trap door .
We got hundreds of rabbits like this as it works 24 /7 not just when your there with a gun .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:48 am »
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 03:18:43 pm »
All my setup is behind a 4ft chicken wire fence.

No one is suggesting it, but as many read these posts, I would like to add if anyone is thinking of shooting, make sure you are a good shot first. No matter what animal or how much a pain in the ass you may think them, nothing deserves to be 'pop shot' at. Learn to shot accurately first. ANY gun is dangerous folks.

:bunny:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 11:43:06 pm »
Like this

http://www.rabbittrap.co.uk/

" Them's is expensive !"
The auzzie trap is a spare 45 gallon oil drum or two , some scrap timber , a bike inner tube for the hinges  &   steel fence strainer wire plus  counter weight to reset the trapdoor
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS