Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How high could a Shetland pony jump ?  (Read 8053 times)

HappyHippy

How high could a Shetland pony jump ?
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:36:28 am »
Would they manage to clear a stock fence, do you think ?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: How high could a Shetland pony jump ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:48 am »
If there was more grass on the other side and it was 3 feet, it's possible tho unlikely, depends on the ponys personality! Another 6 inches higher would probably be safer. Normally they would limbo under tape/wires :-)))

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:23:40 pm »
 :thinking: I think little Polly might have jumped my stock fence - it's about 3ft high and she is very little, but it seems like the only reasonable answer......  :-\

On Friday morning I went up to feed everybody and Polly didn't appear, fed the pigs and cows and went looking for her. I found her in the bottom field, with the gate bolted behind her.

We'd definately shut the gate and bolted it when we brought the pigs back in at the start of the previous week. And if it's left unbolted it swings open and the bolt is one of these spring loaded ones which doesn't self lock, she I can confidently rule out the chance that she wandered in and got locked in by accident.

She has limbo'd under tape before (I saw her doing it  :innocent:) but the fence on this field is completely pig proof square mesh - there's NO WAY she'd get under or through it and the gate is about 5ft high  :-\

The only two options are that someone has come into our fields and deliberately locked her down there (highly unlikely), or she's jumped it to get closer to my 'next but one' neighbours' field and other horses (seems more likely) I'll have to keep an eye on her I think, little trouble maker  ;)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:05:19 pm »
It is possible that your pony jumped the fence. Shetlands often surprise people by the way they find to escape. I have one who cleared 3ft no problem when he was a 2 year old.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
Now in my eyes this would be the perfect excuse reason to get her a little pony friend  :excited: no need to jump out then  :innocent:
Our 10hh pony jumped stock fencing with a rail above it! We were gobsmacked, he can also wriggle, through or under most things although since having his undercarriage removed he tends to stay put  ;D

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
It's amazing how tricksy ponies can be. My Fell is currently trying to work out how to open the "horseproof" latch on his gate. The only reason that he hasn't managed it yet is that he is leaning on it as he wiggles it with his teeth. All he needs to do is step an inch back then do it and TA DA, he's free! My old Sec D welsh cob would go through any electric fencing if he wanted to, even if it was on the mains!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »
My Fell watches me closely as I open gates from his back.  He is very helpful in terms of knowing which side to be, when he has to push and when he has to step back, but I have no doubt he would also use that information to his own advantage if I gave him a fraction of a chance!  :D  I try hard to make sure that all gates where Fells could be are openable only with the use of opposable thumbs  ;) :D

Sounds as though Polly jumped.  At least you know she's fit!  :D   If she does it again, she's telling you she isn't happy on her own.  So then you'll be wanting either another equine of some kind, or a goat or some sheep to keep her company...  Cattle not so good, they love eating horsetail!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:38 pm »
Sounds as though Polly jumped.  At least you know she's fit!  :D   If she does it again, she's telling you she isn't happy on her own.  So then you'll be wanting either another equine of some kind, or a goat or some sheep to keep her company...  Cattle not so good, they love eating horsetail!
Yup, that's what I was thinking  ;) Although I think her tail will be quite safe - both cows are terrified of her  ::) Like, really, properly scared ! I have to walk Polly away from the shed door just so they can get in and out  :innocent:

I don't know if I can afford the luxury of another pony,  but I don't want to keep a single unhappy one either  :-\ But then, if I happened to get a bigger one it might provide better sized fire apples  ;D When the cows move to their 'summer' grazing, Polly won't be able to go (not unless I want her fat and riddled with lami - which I don't) so she'll need to stay where she is, so I'll need to do something for her.

Goat or sheep  :thinking: That all sounds very 'fleece' orientated..... I met the lady from the local spinning guild today, she was lovely and even offered to teach me how to knit  :thinking: Not sure I can resist the lure much longer  :innocent:

Will keep an eye on her and see what happens - will report back  :thumbsup:

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:45:05 pm »
Maybe you could look at a Boer goat wether. They get big enough to stand up for themselves but aren't rough. And if he does get bolshy, you can eat him  ;D
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Maybe  :innocent:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:31 pm »
We have a Shetland pony who got over a stock fence with a single wire above he clattered it but got over and was none the worst. Farrier could not believe it our other pony was in the field next with the farrier , Shetland just wanted  to be with his pal. So in my experience if a shetland wants to get over a stock fence they can.

Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 07:58:29 am »
I met the lady from the local spinning guild today, she was lovely and even offered to teach me how to knit  :thinking: Not sure I can resist the lure much longer  :innocent:

Resistance is futile  :eyelashes: :knit: :excited: :knit: :excited: :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS