Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foot trimming  (Read 12306 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Foot trimming
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:22:53 am »
Does anyone else have trouble cutting through horn?  I spend my life trimming adult nails so shouldn't be too different.  I have a green pair of nippers for the sheep but they wouldn't touch goat feet, presumed blunt and I am rubbish at sharpening.  Got a pair of Net Tex hoof rot shears with one edge serrated but still like cutting through concrete.

Tried nibbling rather than taking big strips but still almost beyond my tough little hands.

Advice appreciated. Also is there an easy way to do back feet? Mine kick like mules! Stood well for treats yesterday while I did front feet but not a hope with back and even if held I can't stop them kicking. I don't really want to turn over. Might try tying them up with bucket of chaff and see if that works.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Foot trimming
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:39:24 am »
I have trouble with some of mine, but only the ones who are prone to laminitis, as makes their hooves like concrete! If they are out in the field getting their feet damp, it helps make the feet softer. You could also try making them stand with their foot in a bucket of warm water to soften them a bit. Used to do that with my billy as he had such big feet and quite hard hooves (but not laminitic thank god).

Back feet- it's always easier for them to kick! I tie ours up at the head, and have them alongside something, a hurdle, wall etc. then I position myself so they can't swing about, and they do move less. Even so they can still kick. Sorry, that's probably not much help!

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:05 am »
I had some of the ones with one serrated side and didn't get on with them, too large and hurt my wrist. I use a pair from countrywide now, white ones that I think are meant for lambs (!) but they do fine.
Back hooves I trim like Beth, anchor front end and face the back, lean my hip into the side of the goat and lift back hoof. Give them a treat after each foot and they tend to be more compliant in the long run. If they start kicking hold on to the leg and don't give in  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:16:24 am »
That's a good point about the foot shears plums. I like smaller foot shears as well, with no serrated edge. Like these ones....

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/myti-lite-ii-foot-rot-shears

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:04 am »
That's a good point about the foot shears plums. I like smaller foot shears as well, with no serrated edge. Like these ones....

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/myti-lite-ii-foot-rot-shears

Beth
I use something simular to those.
If you have the weather and they can get out it should soften the foot and make it easier to do , I find when ours have been in for a long time the feet dry out and go rock hard
Graham

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:04 am »
I use these too - http://www.homesteadfarmsupplies.co.uk/nettex-foot-shears-mytilite-offset-p-720.html - they are bent so easier to get to the difficult bits.  Also, I found the straight ones pinched my hand if I wasn't careful

the only way is to put them out in a wet field for a couple of hours I've found!  Especially now they've been in for 3 months and their feet are just like concrete

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »
Ah that makes sense. They have been in for a while so that's the problem.  Been in and out this morning so once I have thawed out from riding I will have a go.

I got the myti lites and they are nice for my small hands.  I find sometimes if the hoof gets too wet it just twists and won't cut.  Must make the effort just to pick up feet most days and give a treat then hopefully won't be such an issue.

I could spend most of the day messing with them. Much more fun than going to work!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:07:05 pm »
Hi guys
I'm a farrier and we keep goats and sheep.I spend all day most days trimming feet,And have found Equine foal snips to be the best and cheapest long term if looked after.
The front  feet.Tie up goat high enough to keep head of the floor.Pick up front right with left hand and cleen out with knife/hoofpick and clean both claws,Then use the snips on the inner claw to take down the inner part of the toe.Then the toe itself then the mid outer part ,then the outer heel.repeat on outer claw.
Hind feet .Stand behind the hind left and reach over and pick up the hind right , step under the right leg and place the goats leg over yourlower left leg supporting the foot with your left hand at the same time pressing it into your leg to give stabillity .The goat should stand happily all day long .then you  can use the hand supprting the foot to guide the snips into place and the right hand to squeeze/operate the snips.Trim in the same way as the front right.Do the same on left feet and bobs your mothers brother.Once we get a bit of weather that allows me to ,i will make a short video tutorial and post on here if enough people are interested.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »
Wow that's brilliant. Will need to print out instructions and have a go. Where does one get foal snips from?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
...don't suppose you are near Wiltshire for quick demo? Farriers make it look so easy. I have tried trimming pony hooves and its hard!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:27:18 pm »
We couldnt be further away.Banffshire between aberdeen and inverness.Google foal snips or any farriers suppliers.If the weather plays the game i will get a short vid sorted within a few weeks.The reason your farrier makes it look so simple is a 6 year apprenticeship.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »
Lol. Yes and I don't envy him, I have two young Fells and one is a Bolshy sod. Posted a reply then read your plan to do video so look forward to it.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:43 pm »
 :wave: :wave: :wave:
Where abouts in Wiltshire are you hun?

I could come show you how I do my guys if you like?

I could bring me tool kit with me :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »
I would be very interested in seeing a video clip, thanks.

If you have help, having someone to hold one front leg up makes it harder for them to kick.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 01:51:02 am »
Can't quite picture your advice for hind feet verdifish, I would appreciate a short video as well.
I just tie goat up, stand astride relevant leg, ('bum to bum' with goat) if they do kick (very rare now) my knees can hold leg firmly. If you keep letting the leg go they know they can get away with it, so will continue to play up, so hang on as much as possible, (unless they are crazy enough to throw themselves over, but unlikely).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS