Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foot trimming  (Read 12305 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Foot trimming
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:06 am »
I am about 20 minutes east of Devizes if that helps MGM. If you aren't too far away I would love some tips and assistance.  I am sure I make work hard for myself.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:23 pm »
I'm in Shropshire - miles away.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:52 am »
Oops! Sorry MGM I jumped to wrong reply, it was Colliewoman who asked where I was.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »
I did wonder why you asked.   ;D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Great help Verdifish although couldn't quite get the idea of foot resting on my leg and goats need me to lean against.

I would still like to see video if you can do it.  My other question having done (or tried to do) back feet yesterday is how do I re-balance the foot so they aren't walking on heels? Their feet were very long when I got them and I doubt had been done for a long time.  I have trimmed a couple of times but struggling to get back to a satisfactory shape.

How far can I pare back and what is the best tool to do it?  I can't find the foal snips anywhere. Would it help if I took a pic of what mine are like?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 09:14:49 pm »
Scots girl Yeah a photo would help.A sharpe knife /Either a foot trimming knife or ive seen it done with a stanley knife. (but would advise caution) Don't expect the angle to be the same as that of a horse or pony.They will allways(should be ) lower in the heel But a photo would help.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
I've attached two different goats, back feet after I trimmed them.  From underneath they look level with pad but when placed back on ground they still don't look right.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:57 pm »
Looking at the top picture you need to shorten the toe part, once you get the length right you can then reshape the foot
Graham

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 10:10:36 am »
You need to be more drastic with the trimming , those look like ours do before trimming. take more off the toes then work on the edges, don't be afraid of trimming the pad down , you can take it back until it starts to look a bit on the pink side , but not bleeding, then a quick spray espescially if there is a bit of shelly-hoof ( gap between horn and pad where dirt can accumulate)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:22 pm »
As Tiz said, we are new at this and willows hoof was just like the picture..bit at a time you'll soon get used to it :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:00 pm »
You should have seen them before I started! Will try again over next week depending on weather. They look quite good when held up but when I put foot down and look its like I haven't done anything.  :rant:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:46 pm »
We were worried how much to cut back but supprised how much you can take off

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
 :-[ :-[
Forgot about this thread, sorry!

If I can get up there next week (should have a gap in the lambing/kidding) I can show you how I do it if you like?
I charge coffee and biscuits ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:10 pm »
You will be suprised how much you can still take off them  ;)
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:24 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman. I would actually really appreciate some experienced advice about my supposed milker. I still struggle to get milk out of her. She seems to like my dad and I get a bit more when he is fussing her!

Will get lots of biscuits in!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS