Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kunes feeding on hay  (Read 5689 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Kunes feeding on hay
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:40 am »
 ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Typical Kunekunes  ::) :roflanim:
Your ginger gilt is gorgeous  :love:

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »
very nice indeed

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 10:57:11 pm »
In relation to my original question.....the Kunes aren't eating the hay I put out for them so guess I don't have to worry about them stuffing themselves silly. I tried putting a fluffed up slice under an old flat trailor - ignored. I tried putting some in the house, ignored. I tried putting a small bit hidden under some pig nuts/carrots and other goodies but they just toss it out of the trug. The grass in their field is pretty short so just hope they are getting enough food. I'm giving them 1 lb of pig nuts each per day and then about a bucket of carrots on top of that.

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
If they were starving hungry pigs they'd be eating the hay  ;)
If they've not been used to being fed it, they'll not know what to do with it, but if they were hungry enough they'd soon figure it out.
It sounds like they're doing fine BeB  :thumbsup:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:37 pm »
We certainly do, no they build their nests out in the open. Firstly you must use hay not straw as hay knots and binds where as straw is loose and useless, secondly you have to give them a 4x4 bale every 4wks in winter although its now been 6wks since mine had their last bale (also my bales are made on farm and I have them wrapped to half a ton (silage weight)  on a 200hp tractor) so your typical hay dealer bale may require four bales at a time.

I have a photo I will put on shortly of them this week but the nest is now six wks old and they have eaten at least half and spread it around when the moved it across the field. I will take new photos in a couple of weeks when they get a new bale(they are moving paddocks).

Today we just built a luxury shelter for the sow and her 9piglets(3wks old, she came in the stable to farrow) out of 3 Heston bales and some box profile sheets with a couple of ratchet straps to hold them down.

On the pigs eating hay front, I would say my sows eat 5+kg of hay a day every day on top of 3kg of home blend, but then I do make a damn good bale of hay!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS