Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kunes feeding on hay  (Read 5688 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Kunes feeding on hay
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:02:07 am »
Hi  :wave:  - what a horrible day out there.

We are due to pick up 2 Kune Kunes this weekend, weather permitting and lambing (just had our first 2 Manx lambs born outside in the sleet :excited: :excited: ). I've been reading the other links on here about feeding Kunes but I just have one little question. If we give them hay to eat, should we just leave them as much as we can (ie a whole bale at a time for them to munch on) or is it best to limit the quantity they have each day?

Can't wait to meet the new arrivals :excited:

Beki

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Kunes feeding on hay
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:17 am »
I bought a full bale for my kk about three weeks ago and they never toched it maybe due to the fact they were indoors all the time before I got them I was hoping they would like it as it would save on the feed bills but you can't win everything

Good luck with the new arrivals

Northlands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Great Ouseburn
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:41:06 am »
I just feed mine a little bit at a time otherwise they just waste it. 

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:29 am »
I don't know Kune kunes but if I was feeding hay I would try and build them up on it so throw them a slice of the bail if they eat it up put a bit more, I know with cattle if I left a bail there they would just stand on top of it and eat, hence why I use a ring.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:51:36 am »
Yes I can imagine the little buggers tearing it apart. Certianly that's what the big pigs do getting anywhere near hay/ straw. I've kept big pigs for a few years now so I'm finding it hard to get my head around feeding Kunes that eat things like grass and hay and, dare I say it, might not dig! Now that's just weird! :roflanim:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:56 am »
We usually just put a bit into their arcs for them - it keeps it dry and they can munch at their leisure  ;)
If they've not been in the habbit of getting hay the best thing is to put it under their pig nuts to begin with and start with smaller amounts to see if they like it.
We also suppliment them with soaked sugar beet pellets (in the absence of fresh roots) to make the feed to further too - but be careful they don't get too fat if you decide to try it  ;)
HTH
Karen

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »

My large blacks live out without an ark, they get a 4x4 hay bale once a month and love the task of dismantling it and building a nest.
With this high wind from the east(an unusual direction for us) they have moved their nest to a more sheltered location- mouthfull by mouthfull and rebuilt it.
 they absolutly love doing it, ceeps them busy and fit and lean. by the end of their hard work it looks like an old fashioned hayrick waiting to be brought in. with a nose pointing out!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »
Mkay, sounds lovely. Any pictures?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »
No, but I will take some.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:32 am »
Blimey MKay they live out all year no ark. I presume they have hedges and trees so they can build their nest in shelter. Does the hay keep them dry? Would love to see some pictures, never heard of anyone not having arks.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51:47 pm »
We put hay in for our kk's. I spoil them so a put a big pile in, but they do waste it.
In the winter though it keeps them busy snouting about in it, so it's worth it to keep them occupied.
J xxx

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:58:23 pm »
Finally got my Kune Kunes at the weekend :excited: . They really are great little  pigs and seem so much easier to deal with than my big girl (still love her to bits though). One is black and one ginger, 6 months old and already throwing themselves down for belly rubs. One sat down, like a dog, with her head in my lap having a head rub :excited: .  It's going to be difficult sending them for sausages :'(

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:55 am »
They are incredibly friendly and easy to deal with - you shouldn't have many problems with them in that respect  :thumbsup:

As for getting attached  :innocent: You just have to try and keep their purpose in mind  :-\ (says she who relented on sending a barren gilt because she 'talks' to me with her eyes  ::))

Have you got photo's ?  ;D

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 10:31:38 am »
Compartmentalise it ... Ones a pig, other is totally different, it's pork

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »
Pics as requested. Dont worry - they do have green grass to roam around on. This bare spot, with the house on it, is the nearest place to the field gate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS