Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox attack  (Read 10664 times)

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
Re: Fox attack
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 06:10:57 pm »
Update on Una, after one week she is back to normal. Fencing coming along nicely, although I have found myself complaining about the heat. Hopefully Mr Fox has moved on.....he is not making a meal out of any of my ducks or chickens.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 01:19:31 pm »
This time of year is the worst for fox attacks, the young are taking feather and fur so the parents are keen to provide it.; They will come at all times of day and once they know where the easy food is they simply won't leave it alone. If you destroy the fox then another will probably take the territory.l A fox proof run is the only way forward - or a bloody bog dog and a really long chain! :dog:

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 03:36:34 pm »
hi Growler , so glad to hear that you fave duckie is doing well, bless her she did have a truly awful experience. . foxes are awful and as they say very, very sly. you've always got to be one step ahead. 10 years ago I kept 2 lovely grey geese - Rosie and Tilly. stupidly one night i didn't shut them up and was horrified to find one of my girls' body (minus head) in the top corner of the paddock early one morning - I was so annoyed with myself..... and the fox ,in a way I could have forgiven it slightly if I thought that it had killed my goose because it was starving  but it had left the body and so had done it for the hell of it.  anyway a few weeks went by and my remaining grey goose was lonely always looking for her friend. so I bought a great big white gander- he was enormous... she was happy again. A few months on I came home to find that the fox had struck again this time my other lovely grey goose. It was the same story took the head left the body.  I was devastated  and this had happened in daylight. I couldn't risk the gander's life ,so I returned him to the man I had bought him from so that he could be safe........ I'm telling you this story so that you never underestimate the cunning and determination of the fox I don't want to worry you but once they have found food they will keep coming back. I really dont know what the answer is other than sitting out there with a gun (is that legal?)  anyway keep up the good work. Lara x
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:15:38 pm by lara »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS