Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox attack  (Read 10651 times)

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
Fox attack
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:45:00 pm »
Just went out to give the chicks their treat of mixed corn at about 8.30pm to find the ducks in a commotion. A fox had a hold of Una and was trying to drag her through the fence. I let out such a roar that the fox dropped her. She doesn't appear to be injured but is definately in shock. Does anyone know how to treat shock in an indian runner duck?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fox attack
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:44:28 pm »
What is she doing?  If she is just sitting down just make sure she is comfortable for the night, you could try her with my now famous recipe of porridge, honey and milk, if she will eat.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:34 pm »
Just standing in the corner of their hut. Heart beating hard and she seems to be gasping for air. Put the rest of her buddies in with her, hoping she will relax a little and go to sleep. If she makes it through the night I will try her with your recipe.

Many thanks for your response.
It is so upsetting to see one of your own ducks in the mouth of a fox. Of course she would be my favourite duck.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:10:06 pm »
Annie, I offered porridge with stuff added to the ducks the other day and they were so uninterested. The hens on the other hand just can't get enough of it.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:26:30 pm »
Hope she is back to normal in the morning. I have suffered at the hands of fox lately too but finally have someone coming on Monday to eradicate that problem. This will be the 3rd person to say they would come and have not turned up. Now the fox knows where your birds are you will have to be extra vigilant I'm afraid. Good luck.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »
I do hope your duck recovers. She will be in shock , and who can blame her.  Hopefully, now its dark, and things are quiet she will calm down.  I don't suppose you will know if the fox has caused her any damage.  Their bite can carry all sorts of nasty germs and if there is broken skin it will need bathing.  I have had a few hens picked up by young foxes, and after a few yells from us, it has dropped them, and each time we have been lucky that although shocked, they have recovered.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13:42 am »
Annie, I offered porridge with stuff added to the ducks the other day and they were so uninterested. The hens on the other hand just can't get enough of it.
Mine go daft for it - it has to be fairly sloppy though.  You know how ducks wash their food in muddy water, well you don't have to go that far, but they won't have it if it's thick and gungey.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:54 am »
Ok, I will try again tomorrow and make it more "sloppy".

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:14:44 am »
Well folks Una has made it through the night albeit she is moving like Mrs Overall. She came out with the rest of the ducks but immediately decided she wanted to go back into her hut. Then she came out and has been sipping from the pond. She has stopped gulping for air but is still breathing fast. I am going to keep an eye on her but will just let her be. Can't see any wounds, no blood. She has now came back into the larger pound and is drinking from their water dish and has just dipped her beak into the pellets. She keeps looking to the back of the garden where Mr Fox came from.
Today will be taken up with trying to make the garden even more secure.
Thank you all for your responses.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:47:01 pm »
sorry it's a bit late but we had no connection yesterday...
I always use Bach Flower rescue remedy on my animals (and kids) for shock. Not proven that it works but it doesn't do any harm, so worth trying.
Lucky you came out in time! :&>

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:27 pm »
Further update on Una, the indian runner duck. I incubated her myself so she is special. This morning and into the afternoon she just stood , all hunched shoulders and neck at right angles to her back. Not with it at all.
Didn't know what to do so drove down to the co op and picked up a few bags of watercress. She loves it. Did as I usually do, rustle the bag and sure enough she responded, quite slowly, but did eat a few bits. Then when I went to the shed to get somemore pellets she quacked twice and came over. Had a feed and a drink. Tonight she is moving a bit faster and looking more alert, still not right but much better. Ducks ushered in the secure pound at 7pm tonight. New wire fence attached to the old ranch style fence today.
Oops just remembered none of the ducks were interested in Doganjo's porridge with honey but the chickens loved it.
Una hasn't laid an egg today is this normal after a trauma? Thank you.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:02:33 pm »
At least she is still holding her own and will continue to improve and make progress. I would think she may be off laying eggs for a wee while while her system gets back to normal. Fingers tightly crossed for her.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:40:15 pm »
Good news, Growler, very pleased for you, even if my porridge wasn't appreciated  ;)  Funny that - other folk say the same but mine would kill for it. ;D ;D ;D

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:09 pm »
Una still doing a good impression of Mrs Overall but definately improving. One side of the fence done just the back and the other side to do. And she laid her egg this morning.

sandy

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 08:39:25 pm »
Glad Una is getting better, I am walking a bit like Mrs Overall!!! I mix up cooked porrage with other stuff, someitmes rice pasta and may be a bit of bread, Lilly and Charlie love Pasta!!!! I suppose it is vegetarian worms to them!!! Today they were playing tug of war with a big slug I found for them, it was funny.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS