Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silly question time  (Read 2672 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Silly question time
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:46 am »
Can a ewe who is expecting a single get twin lamb disease?
I don't have a problem but was just wondering if a ewe could get the same symptons perhaps is she was carrying a big lamb.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Silly question time
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:10:15 am »
Not a silly question at all. More likely in a ewe carrying twins but it's basically caused by an imbalance between energy coming in and energy going out, so if the ewe is in poor condition, not getting enough high quality feed, has some other condition or is stressed then it's quite likely she'll be affected.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:03 am »
I think it's a really good question, actually. Reminds people not to ignore possible symptoms in single bearing ewes  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
I think it's a really good question, actually. Reminds people not to ignore possible symptoms in single bearing ewes  :thumbsup:

Hear hear  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:56 pm »
I had a ewe that did have twin lamb disease this year. I brought her in and dosed her up. It took a lot of TLC as she was very reluctant to eat. She is smaller then some I have here so was probably bullyed out of the way at the feed trough.
She gave birth to a lovely single ewe lamb this week. Another pretty coloured Ryeland. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:18:52 pm »
There are no "silly questions" just silly people who dont ask when they want to know something!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »
especially likely in any ewe who suddenly has depeletion in diet such as when it snows... not restricted to twin mothers.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS