Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryeland Ewe Lambs  (Read 4660 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Ryeland Ewe Lambs
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »
Will have a couple of coloured and some white ewe lambs for sale able to leave Mums next month also some coloured shearling ewes. If anyone interested please PM. They are (shearlings) or will be (lambs-I've sent off the paperwork and money) registered with the Ryeland Flock Book Society.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:49:09 am by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Ryeland Ewe Lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:31:27 pm »
If Lyra survives, I'll need a friend for her when the ewes go to the tup and the boys go away. Don't tell Dan, though.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »
I've got a nice little shearling that would make her an ideal companion as she is really too small to go to the tup this year so I am holding on to her at the moment and if she is still here next year would put her to my nice little tup ram I have had this year from white parents, he is absolutely stunning. (not for sale) .
Or a lamb if she didn't suit.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
Where are you, Kaz?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:18:36 pm »
Probably too far away from you Rosemary, as live not too many miles away from the Royal Welsh Showground where you was in May for the smallholder weekend.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:10:00 pm »
Hi kaz, wondering what sort of money for these sheep, now a couple who purchased a ram lamb of you last year.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 06:38:45 pm »
What colour, white or the other?

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:07:03 pm »
both out of interest

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »
No coloured lambs, possibly couple of shearlings, not too sure how many another buyer wants. No white shearlings and a couple of white lambs. All registered.
Price is dependant on breeding lines from £120. They can only be registered if breed to a registered Ryeland ram.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:12:36 pm »
well black shearlings im interested in mostly, but maybe some whites also

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »
I should tell you the Ryeland sheep are not BLACK they are COLOURED a big difference, the coloured range is from looking as if they are white right through to the darkest colour with all colour variations in the fleece. They should have white teardrops and be mealy mouthed.
If you asked a coloured Ryeland breeder for a black sheep it is like a red rag to a bull. Texels with BLACK fleece are called BLUE.
To breed registered pedigree ryeland sheep, you have to belong to the Ryeland Flock Book Society and only registered parents offspring can be registered. There has been a lot of unscrupulous sellers of coloured Ryeland sheep that have not been registered, which the subsequent buyer has then been unable to register any offsping with the society for the simple reason that they are not in the flock book.
If you intend to breed Ryelands you will need a fully registered ram.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 08:37:14 pm »
Im very sorry Kaz for my miswordding, well friend s of mine ar e pedigree breeders so they have a ram which i could use

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »
What's are their names or flock name.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:55:52 pm »
Also is the ram white or coloured because it makes a big difference to the registering of offspring. I checked only recently about using a white ram on coloured ewes with the secretary of the society and at the moment there is no reason why you cannot.
Coloured ram on white ewes gives you a coloured offspring, you would have to check with Flock Book Society to see if they could be registered.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 07:33:02 pm »
They are rather a new flock owned by Caol and Efrem bateman, Brecon. The ram would also be coloured

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS