Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe feeding triplets  (Read 14600 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Ewe feeding triplets
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 04:43:21 pm »
Is there enough feed value in flaked maize ? I always gave my ewes the ewe and lamb mix. Hope she recovers and the family do well.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »
OH trip to our local CWG ( now MVF) fairly unproductive (no TLD, and not something else...he had returned by the time SITN suggested multivits), but he has dosed with calcijet. I gave her some ivy which she nibbled and then ignored. She turned her nose up at my delightful looking concoction of porridge, best muscavado sugar, milk, egg and a spoonful of molasses. BUT OH has now given her an 'oral syringe' of lucozade' - 50mL. He was not sure if it was meant to be flat, or how much to give, but effect appears to be instantaneous. Up on her feet and munching hay. Not sure if the bubbles woke her up or the calciject had hit, but the fact that she is eating is a huge relief....

thanks all
we will continue to monitor all 4 and resort to previous advice if any of them slip back.
(re-reading a 2011 post on TL disease, which is also providing many rescue remedies  :) )
thanks again
Jo

I tend to give milk, egg yolk and treacle as per Tim Tynes book for twin lamb, and I always have those things knocking around in the kitchen.

I have added my own variation to this by mixing with a breakfast cereal aimed at kids - weetabix or ready brek because they contain some cereal and are fortified. I just heat the milk a bit in the microwave and blend the lot together, I then syringe it into the ewe (I've never met one who didn't lick at the syringe, they seem to like it).

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:30:59 pm »
Update on the ewe; she is still spending more time sitting/lying than standing, but we gzve her the remaing dose of calciject today ( long story- OH dosed tenth of the dose yesterday - I am the one who usually doles out meds and he mis-read the syringe ??? ).
Keeping her topped up on the milk/black treacle/egg suggestion (via syringe, no weetabix or porridge though :) ) plus lucozade, plus access to ivy/fresh hay. She has not seemed that interested in much, but the feed delivery has just arrived with her usual nuts, which she has tucked into ( still sitting down!) so her appetite must be returning :excited: .
Lambs now doing much better, drinking from bottle and looking much stronger.
We will only relax though when Mum is happier to stand on a more frequent basis.
Yet again, thanks for the suggestions.
Next year we will do it differently (I said that last year, it's such a steep learning curve !!!)
Mind you - still got 4 ewes to go, so anything can still happen.

All the best to you lambers up north with all your snow/weather.
Jo

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »
I find it takes them a while to get back onto coarse mix or nuts and will eat ivy or grass way before they will eat nuts. I try to pen up poorly ewes in a spare pig ark with a 'run' out front so they can graze or pen them up int the field under a tarp or similar.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS