Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much do you charge for half a pig?  (Read 26659 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
How much do you charge for half a pig?
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »
That's it - how much do you charge for half a pig - butchered I mean?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
Re: How much do you charge for half a pig?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:17 pm »
Hi, we charge £150 per half, average about 25 kilos,thats all joints boned and vacuum packed,whatever sausages you want flavoured in trays and head and trotters if you want them,

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:55:16 pm »
£120, but sausages are extra.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:28 am »
£120 her too but no sausages in that. A very good deal for the customer but not going to retire on the profits any time soon.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:56 am »
is 25kg of meat per half an average accross the board?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
I pay £1.30/lb. First half we had was £85, the most recent was £95. So the £95 was 33kg.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:42:25 am »
I charge £70 per half. And have been lambasted here for doing so too!

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:13 am »
£120 last time but it will have to go up because of feed costs....

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:00:02 am »
J2..... What are you doing £70 a half will Bankrupt the rest of us!!! Lol  ;D
I would say 120 a half Minimum I think £135 is what you should look for We deserve to make a half decent profit for our hard work.  :farmer:

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:41 pm »
lol I was told that it makes the guys that charge more look like thieves but hell they are my pigs and so my prices  ;D  Plus I actually want to sell it not shove it in my freezers!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:42 am »
OK ANOTHER QUESTION:  (wont bother doing a new topic):

What do you get for your money in meat cuts I mean?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:52 pm »
Trouble is that within the small scale pig keeping world there are a lot of different situations. There are the hobby keepers who rear a few for themselves and to whom the cost doesn't really matter. There are people who rear a few to sell but again don't pay too much attention to the costs. There are people who do it on a more businesslike footing but also have another income so don't worry if they don't make a profit. There are serious pedigree breeders who breed for showing but have to offload their "meat pigs". There are also people who are trying to run a small business and to whom costs and expenses are very important as they need to keep a roof over their heads. I would imagine that these are the people who get pissed off when someone down the road is selling pork for half what it really costs to produce.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »
OK ANOTHER QUESTION:  (wont bother doing a new topic):

What do you get for your money in meat cuts I mean?
I get leg and shoulder cut into 3 bone in, chops in packs of 3, knuckle, belly- 1/2 as strips 1/2 rolled ready to roast. Can have half the head but I swap for a pack of sausages instead  :yum:

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:32:48 pm »
I think there was an article a few years ago on this site saying how it is impossible to make a living with a smallholding and that still applies, you have to have some other form of income to live, doesn't matter how much you sell your pork for.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 07:08:53 pm »
I think you can feed yourself good food and sell left over but never make a living out of it unless your in mass production

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS