Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rant! thought there was a credit crunch  (Read 12286 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
rant! thought there was a credit crunch
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:48 pm »
here I am, ready to build my little stable block - the story so far .......  step 1 - try to get a quote to do the concrete base ... first guy took about 2 weeks before he came out to look at the site, then took about 10 days to provide a quote which was outrageously high, another guy didn't reply to my call for a week then said he would get back to me with a quote - two weeks later chased him up - another week later he phoned but still no quote, 3rd guy came out last Saturday and said he would e-mail quote on Monday/Tuesday, its now Thursday night and still no quote, 4th guy came out Monday night and still no quote.   It's not rocket science to calculate a quote surely!!!  Step 2 - get quotes for the stables.  Thinking it's good to support local businesses tried to do so - 4 phone calls later and just under 4 weeks have passed and finally got the courtesy of a reply.  The other one - Saltire - hurrah - very professional and have provided a quote.

Also - today - at the Royal Highland, which was otherwise fab - went round various agricultural stands to look at sheep turnover crates and other sheep related things - I would say at 2 out of every 3 stands visited , despite standing beside the relevant bit of sheep equipment and obviously looking interested - no-one tried to sell me anything  (Glendale Engineering were however good and good prices)

IS IT ME???  how hard can it be to spend your money ???

Rant over !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: rant! thought there was a credit crunch
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »
It must be you I think - you probably have that 'whatever you quote I'll beat you down' look in your voice  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:36:46 am »
Oh Dear. You should try living in the West Coast Highlnads. Finally got my quote yesterday after first asking for it in February  :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:59:15 am »
Then again you could always move to France  .... I will be there on Monday and 2 years later.  I will be there on MOnday... 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:22:10 am »
Credit crunch my ass. Just back from a little break in Italy....building/renovating houses, improving the roads etc. to beat the band. Seems like it's only Ireland and the U.K that have been really hit bad. Three cheers for our glorious politicians!  :P

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:10:43 pm »
 That's because they all get bigger grants from the E.U then we do. You should see the new roads etc in Portugal!

Wellieboots

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:10 pm »
...and what exactly are you trying to sell/buy in the "marketplace" ??? ???

Might I suggest that venting your spleen is best in the coffee lounge - not that I'm being pedantic..... :farmer:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:53:01 pm »
Just sharing my opinion with the nice lady who started the thread  ;D

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:03 pm »
hey sausagesandcash - thanks for the nice lady comment!!

Wellieboots - ur probably right but you could say it was an obscure 'wanted' ad for someone to do a concrete stable base !!  will keep the coffee lounge in mind for future rants

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »
No offence intended here, but builders are not going to soend a great deal of time on a project as small as building a stable base.  The credit crunch does not mean that builders are so desperate they will be falling over themselves to compete for minor works. Why don't you get yourself a cement mixer and do it yourself, very rewarding.  It must be a very nice postion to be in demanding that everyone is out to satisfy your needs because you have the money to pay them to do so, but quite another when it is your bread and butter

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:16:50 am »
It must be a very nice postion to be in demanding that everyone is out to satisfy your needs because you have the money to pay them to do so, but quite another when it is your bread and butter

C'mon man, easy! Spread the love, not bitterness. Some people just don't have the know how, and may well have to scrape together the money to pay a tradesman to get a job done.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 07:59:41 pm »
offence taken but calmed down by sausages and cash - well put   

ok take the credit crunch comment out of it ............  its surely not good business to take weeks to get back to someone ...... if a tradesperson can't be a**** doing such a small job why dont they b***** well just say so instead of messing people about         

If I thought I could do it myself I would have b****y well done it months ago           

and yes it has taken years to save up the dosh

and yes I must be in PMT mode ..... rant now most definitely over    .... and yes any future rants will go into the coffee lounge

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 09:07:50 pm »
I have suffered a leaky outside tap for weeks - couldn't bring myself to contact my previous plumber as they told me what I needed instead of what I thought I needed - result £200 more than I wanted to pay.  So got scared of tradesmen.  Plucked up courage to phone Sandy's tame plumber yesterday morning - girl apologised profusely that they couldn't get anyone to me straight away.  Phoned today and said are you in now - yes, so round this lovely young man came, couldn't find the 'toby' to turn the water off, so fitted a brand new tap 'live' - in less than half an hour!  This was one of the things I'd asked the last plumber to do but they had said nothing wrong with the old tap and just propped up the pipe and fixed it to the wall - even I could see by the age of it that it wouldn't last forever.  Wish I'd stood my ground!  Anyway, faith restored in tradesmen and plumbers, and got his name in case I need him again.  Plus drippy tap in kitchen I thought needed a washer is of the ceramic type and he checked it and said leave it or get a new tap as when you start to fiddle with them they just break, but he will look out for a replacement unit to fit.  Just a wee star!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
Annie

You're right - there are some rare gems about

Have to add that I have myself just recently found a great painter/decorator - phones to let you know when he will be with you, turns up when he says he will, does a great job, prices are good, and he's cheery with it!   

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:52 pm »
That's another job that needs doing - but no money left so it will have to wait - or get my sons to help.  Don't like asking them as they have their own lives to lead.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS