Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausage Making Equipment  (Read 2929 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Sausage Making Equipment
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »
What makes / model would you good people recommend purchasing for home use??

Don't want massive industrial model, nor a small 2kg an hour one either !!!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks..
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

HappyHippy

Re: Sausage Making Equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »
I bought a wee combined mincer/stuffer from Northern Tool - it was around £80 and is fine for small batches of meat (up to say 5 or 6 Kg) but pretty useless and really slooooooow for stuffing sausages.
I ended up buying a stand alone stuffer (holds 5Kg of mix) and my butcher minces the meat and fat for me with his big powerful one.
The stand alone stuffer is a bit like this one http://www.northerntooluk.com/food-preparation/manual-grinders-and-mills/horizontal-sausage-stuffer_605008E.html?fhsearchterm=sausage+stuffer

The thing with any mincer that isn't a commercial grade one is that as it minces, it heats up slightly and this can affect how well the meat minces (and the resulting texture of your sausages) So, if you're planning big batches and you don't want to buy a big powerful (and expensive) mincer, ask your butcher if he'll do the mincing and you can do the stuffing  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »
Have a look on the www.tongmaster.co.uk site. I cant remember if they sell the machines, but they do all the skins and fillers. I buy a lot of their meat coatings which are delicious. They are quick to deliver too!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:29 am »
I love the look of the tongmaster site, i think i'll try quite a few of their seasonings and sausage casing look reasonably priced. I've been looking for a source of saltpetre but i'm assuming its out of stock as theres no products under the subheading.

I think i'll try one of their sausage makers, I'll only be making small batches every now and then so don't need anything heavy duty.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
They do fantastic glazes for meat too, great for a BBQ. The sweet chilli one is out of this world, along with the tikka and the tandoori. Check those out too! (By the way, I dont have any connection to them, I just love their products. They'll even give you a breakdown of the ingredient food values if you ask them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS