Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly Strike  (Read 2995 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Fly Strike
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:41 am »
Morning!
Yesterday I treated my small flock (11) with Clik. I was later than wanted due to hosting a wedding here - but that's another story.
I noticed one of the ewe lambs was lay down and looking a little out of sorts. She would get up and graze if disturbed and was chewing her cud but generally looked a bit miffed off. This morning I checked her for fly strike and found my suspicions to be correctr. I have removed all the maggots and they have not really broken the skin, it just looks quite raw and angry. Do I need to do anything else with her?
 :sheep: :'(

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
Re: Fly Strike
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:06:38 am »
I would clip round the effected area if i were you and treat with fly cream,even tho youve clicked them
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:09:46 am »
I would agree with Dandan, because once the flies find a nice bit of juicy flesh they won't leave it alone, and with the fleece clipped away you can keep a better eye on the affected area.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »
Good advice people, many thanks. Just been out to look at her again, clipped back the wool and found loads more maggots and eggs that I didn't see first time. Given it a good spray with antiseptic and fly deterant. Will check them all in detail tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Bloody flies! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS