Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS............are they too old?  (Read 5985 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
GOS............are they too old?
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:48:26 am »
Hello all,   I've been offered a couple of GOS gilts that are not 19 months old but have never been to the boar.   I don't know if this is better or worse with regards to a first litter ??? ???  Any advice hugely appreciated before I go and do something I might regret  :-\ :-\. Thanks all.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: GOS............are they too old?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:51:26 pm »
Its a bit like women, some can have babies at 60 others stop being able to at 40.  If they are not too expensive go for it. 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:03 am »
One of our pigs went to the boar for the first time at that age and all the signs look good for a  happy outcome.  It was recommended to me that the first time should be around 10 months to a year - we aim to put our gilts to the boar at around a year old, but as HM says, if they are not too expensive then go for it. If it doesn't happen you will still have some mighty good pork to fall back on for your investment.

Kate
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:23:14 am by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:39:15 am »
I seem to remember being told that you need to take them to the boar at an ideal age of 12 - 18 months, so maybe 19 months is close enough. Have you asked the same question on the gos site, as they seem to now everything about pigs. But I can understand the apprehension, as they will cost a fortune to feed and you need them to earn their corn.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:46:51 am »
Thanks for the feedback all.     They are actually advertised on the GOS site, and I asked what line they were - which was Princess - and then declined as I wanted a different line.   However, the chap emailed me and asked if I wanted to swap 3 of my weaners for his 2 gilts - he just hadn't had time to ever get them to a boar.   I just don't want to take something on that's not going to at least cover its costs.   But as you say - if they do fail to 'take' then we're gonna be OK for sausages for a quite a while!!   Sounds like I should risk it  ::).       ::)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:55:33 pm »
Over here where guaranteed pure breds are hens teeth, I would take his arm off.  Have they got papers?

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:22:56 pm »
Goodness, are they really that Rare across there??    Yes, he says they are both registered and are Princess line.....which is how I first came to enquire about them.  I think I've now convinced OH that this would be a good deal.......so I'm gonna go for it!    :)  I can always export them to you as playmates for 'Hilary' !!! 8)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:48:51 am »
I believe my Princess was amongst the first three pedigree GOS in France for some years, now there are a few more.  Looking on BPA website though, mine is one of the very few GOS to produce registered progeny.  Its a shame when breeders dont bith notify and follow on with registration. 

Princess is a great bloodline.  I am very proud of mine.  Which boar would you use?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS