Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large number of small sheep wanted - Fife  (Read 3003 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Large number of small sheep wanted - Fife
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
We are looking for a flock of around 40 sheep. Ratio of ewes and wethers not important. We would like to get small, hardy sheep that will do well on mediocre grazing, preferably a rare and/or native breed i.e soays, shetlands, etc. Prefer registered but not essential, will also consider a mixed flock and some cross breeds. I have been searching around the internet but have only been able to find a handful dotted about here and there. We need to get the flock in just one or two trips and need them by the end of this month (long story). We thought we had everything sorted by leasing sheep from someone local to us, however he has just told us he will be only be able to give half the number we need. So we are now 40 short! Willing to travel within a couple of hours of north fife. Any ideas? Alternatively, we offer free grazing to anyone who can lease 40 sheep to us by the end of the month.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Large number of small sheep wanted - Fife
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:05 pm »
Good luck with the search!

One issue might be the timing re small native breeds as the ewes will likely be coming up to lambing for those who keep those breeds eg my Shetlands are (i hope) in lamb and due end of April, which might also be the case for others. I know you can transport up to last 10% of gestation but not ideal and I don't think you are looking to lamb ewes from your post?

If it wasn't for this  I could have sold you 10 unreg shetlands, I hope someone else can help!

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »
Yes, I know. The timing is terrible! It's all been a bit of a nightmare. We are in no position to be choosy and will consider anything, however commercial grade larger sheep may not do so well on our grazing.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:28 pm »
Do any local famers have any cull ewes or rams that they have pulled out from the ewes now you could borrow? Or as its woodland would you consider goats - but again its kidding time, although you may find some castrated males x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:14:29 pm »
The markets are still selling small store hoggs from hill breeds eg black faces under 30 kg

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »
Thats the way to go as shep53  says they should do the job.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Dusty

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:53 am »
I have sent you a PM

SWT-Flying Flock

• Joined Mar 2013
    • Flying Flock Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:26 am »
I can help you with this. Please email me or check out http://swtflyingflock.wordpress.com/
Unique in Scotland, check out Scottish Wildlife Trust's Flying Flock and Herd of conservation grazing sheep and cattle. http://swtflyingflock.wordpress.com/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS