Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to go on holiday?  (Read 7947 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Where to go on holiday?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
Shnoowie I will take a look at the Mexian hotel you went to later, thanks for the suggestion.

Doug,
We will be prepared with all of the appropriate injections and malaria tablets (if necessary) I am also used to not drinking the local water or eating food from roadside stalls (pity as they sometimes look very good). If we want to experience other parts of the world then those precautions are just part of the experience. I have been to some amazing places and have some wonderful memories.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:01 am »
We will be prepared with all of the appropriate injections and malaria tablets (if necessary) I am also used to not drinking the local water or eating food from roadside stalls (pity as they sometimes look very good). If we want to experience other parts of the world then those precautions are just part of the experience. I have been to some amazing places and have some wonderful memories.

I went to Whitby once, wasn't prepared.........

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:31 am »
It all depends on how many horrible diseases you want to collect, and can you carry all the water with you that you will need without buying the local stuff.  :thinking:

And as for Scarborough, least said soonest mended...

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
I am also used to not drinking the local water or eating food from roadside stalls (pity as they sometimes look very good). If we want to experience other parts of the world then those precautions are just part of the experience. I have been to some amazing places and have some wonderful memories.
Been offered drugs in Jamaica - would have been bricking it in Manchester or Liverpool but there was just part of the holiday.
Best pastie ever was from a road side stall in Antigua, can't afford to get there now, wish I could.
Club in Bangkok, was a bit careful there but rest of trip was super as was Singapore and Bali on the same holiday / honeymoon.
Friends just back from Vietnam, inexpensive and they would go again but avoid the trip down the VietCong tunnels apparently.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 08:18:42 am »
Do you want active or restful?  How much luxury or roughing it did you have in mind?

If Kenya doesn't fall into a post election war again I do have a contact who would put together a totally bespoke holiday for you.   (we had a week ... 2 day tent  safari, day in Navasha, cycle safari, day in Niarobi, flight to and 2 days on beach in Mombasa for about £1200 each (excluding  flights to kenya.) complete with own guide/ driver/ translator.

Maybe I can be of assistance with the animals?

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 08:39:46 am »
We seem to give family and friends active and innactive holidays in the  :sunshine: for the cost of a Ryanair flight :excited: £7.99 from London to Limoges is the cheapest flight paid by my daughter - and we feed every one for £5 a head for 7 days  :excited: . Just picking up on another thread there but the frequent visitors do enjoy walking and canoeing and swimming in lakes and rivers. I guess that we enjoy a long holiday with visitors from May to October. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:51 am »
In terms of Africa (which I love) I prefer Uganda or Ghana to Kenya personally, but I no longer know the politics as I would have in the mid 90s when I went to them so don't take my word for it ;)  I have pretty bad memories of my trips to Kenya.  Always fancied going further south to Botswana and Namibia perhaps, but never made it as yet.

Far East I found way too humid, tho I quite liked Macao.

My more recent travels (05/06) were mostly to Peru tho, my favourite destination being Cusco up in the Andes, high altitude and a great area to explore, avoid Lima tho other than the fastest international to national air transit you can manage ;)

I could never do a beach or "tourist" holiday tho, always go flight only and book something local and cheap in a safeish area where I can explore myself.  Can't see the point in travelling a long way to sit by a pool reading a book - could save the hassle and read on the sofa at home ;)

Other places I'd like to visit that fall into the warmer zones - Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile, Mauritius, Tahiti, Galapagos, Samoa, New Mexico, Arizona, Hawai'i, New Orleans..  But there are as many colder places I'd like to go and some that might be either.  European destinations I'd go for cities like Venice, Florence etc so I had plenty to see.  But I think trips abroad are off the agenda financially for the foreseeable ::)

If anyone fancies a nice smallholding holiday base in north Fife to explore Edinburgh, Perth, Dundee, St Andrews, Falkland Palace, the amazing organic Pillars of Hercules farm/shop/cafe and Stirling all within an hour, let me know and I'd gladly vacate for a few days or weeks as long as my ponies, hens and cats are checked and fed as required (ponies are at grass in summer, no mucking out ;) )  Can't promise sun but it's a great part of the world and cheaper to get to!

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:04 am »
Some fabulous suggestions from everyone.
ellied, OH would definitely be interested in Peru and the places that you would like to visit are all on my wish list too. As for Europe, I have done less travelling there than far flung places. I have been to Venice though and thought it was fantastic. Like no place else I have ever been.
Linda, A mix of active and idle  ;D  would be good although I have a bad ankle so nothing too strenuous these days. Some years ago I did a week on safari in Tanzania and then a week in Kenya on the coast. That was a lovely holiday. I have sent you a pm

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:38 am »
It suddenly dawned on me that I will be 60 next Feb so we have decided to ditch the holiday this year and have something nice in Feb.
We have now booked a Caribbean cruise leaving on 24th Jan so we will be away for OH's birthday on 3rd Feb and mine on 5th.  I have been on 3 Caribbean cruises previously but not to any of the stops on this cruise, so it will all be new.
Just have to carry on with my diet now so that I can get into my posh frocks  ;D

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:40 am »
I know it isn't quite so exotic but it won't break the bank either - but we went to Minorca a few years ago, stayed over in the far west of the island near the old town.  We found it lovely and unspoilt with very good snorkelling - lots of fish to look at.  Plus north of the island has lots of totally wild beaches, fed by natural rivers and even wild turtles/tortoise (not sure which they were)!  Just avoid the main tourist towns!

Donna

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »
It suddenly dawned on me that I will be 60 next Feb so we have decided to ditch the holiday this year and have something nice in Feb.
We have now booked a Caribbean cruise leaving on 24th Jan so we will be away for OH's birthday on 3rd Feb and mine on 5th.  I have been on 3 Caribbean cruises previously but not to any of the stops on this cruise, so it will all be new.
Just have to carry on with my diet now so that I can get into my posh frocks  ;D

A lovely way to spend your 60th.  My sister in law whose 60th was the February just gone, wanted to spend it somewhere hot and sunny.  Instead, she was visiting my brother in hospital after his hip replacement.  It was hot though.   :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS