Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to go on holiday?  (Read 7949 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Where to go on holiday?
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
We have decided to go on holiday later in the year (sept/oct) providing we can work out someone to look after the animals. The problem is that we can't decide where to go.
I want somewhere hot and sunny but there is just too much choice. Jamaica, Mexico, Morocco, Dominican Republic, Goa, Gambia, Kenya...... the list goes on.
Anyone got a good suggestion of somewhere which fits the bill but won't entirely break the bank balance?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Where to go on holiday?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »
I loved Gambia but that's going back 22 years  so I don't know how it is now - lots to see and learn, great for travelling about and the food was amazing. Certainly very hot and we spent hours in the sea jumping the atlantic rollers (I went with a friend).  Engaged in Mexico 12 yrs back, we stayed near cancun but not in it so we were able to travel around away from tourist spots, again very hot. Been to Jamaica and Barbados - preferred Barbados to be honest, some areas of Jamaica not safe (as with everywhere I know but seemed more so there).  Not sure if a bit too rainy in Caribbean Sept/Oct?   ooh how exciting!! you'll have a great time wherever you choose  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »
suppose it depends on what you want to do when you get there too?

Dubai is good for beaches, shopping, culture etc and should be cooling down by sept/oct  :sunshine: and you can get some good deals for flights/hotels if you look around

or if you want to try something a little different maybe Kerala in India? Known as the Venice of India, lovely waterways, elephants walking down the road etc etc

So jealous, can't see me getting anywhere this year  :(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »
The Brecon Beacons , what more could you want ?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: .
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »

sunshine and cocktails ?  ;)  :sunshine:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: .
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »
Well I guess it would save me money on a smallholding sitter. Can't see me there in a bikini at that time of year though. Or any time of year come to think of it  :)
Plums, I went to Gambia 20 odd years ago, perhaps I saw you there. Yes, I too wondered that it might have changed too much and not for the better. I have been to Mexico a couple of times as part of a cruise and liked what I saw.  Also did half a day in Jamaica on a cruise and even in only half a day I must admit I didn't feel safe. Barbados is a possibility though. I could change to Nov if it works better for weather anywhere. IFRH, I have done a 10 hour stopover in Dubai. Whilst I enjoyed it I am not sure I would want a 2 week holiday there. OH did buy me a very nice gold bracelet there though  ;D
We did 2 weeks in Kerala about 3 years ago. Absolutely loved it but would prefer somewhere I haven't been before.
Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:07:02 pm »
Have you been to Madeira?  Really beautiful island with lots to do and the scenery and flora/fauna absolutely stunning.  Weather is good all year around with July to September being the hottest months but still circa 20 degrees in December.  The Christmas/New Year celebrations are second to none.   In July (usually around the
6th-7th) there's an agricultural show held on the North of the island which is fabulous and really interesting to see the animals etc thatare on the island.  The people of Madeira are super friendly and the food superb.  I can't recommend the island highly enough and it's only 3 or 4 hours flight from the UK depending on your chosen airport.

Toe

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:08:53 pm »
What about Cuba? My Grandma has been almost everywhere and she says the first place she would go back to is Cuba. Apparently its certainly worth a visit before it changes, the culture and weather should be good and I believe it is possible to enjoy on a reasonable budget. That would be my first choice  :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »
Go on a Thomas Cook cruise down the Nile, it's sensational, you feel like you're on a film set, the boats are lovely, the Nile is lush and beautiful, the Egyptians are friendly without being overly so and they are tripping over Egyptian culture.  Was our ultimate holiday experience, couldn't imagine anything better, really amazing.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »
As the furthest I've every been was Brittany, I don't think I'm qualified to answer this one.  My son went to Cuba last year though with his then girlfriend.  She had wanted to go there for years but was very disappointed in it.  Neither would go again.  I wouldn't mind going to Ghana though.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:14 pm »
We have a holiday cottage here on the farm.  Guests sometimes ask me where I go on holiday and the answer is, "Somewhere beautiful, where I don't have to watch the clock and where I can spend a lot of time outdoors - oh, I already live here."  They go home at the end of the week. I am home.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »
Could come camping here in October - but bring the ratchet straps and some big pegs for the tent though  ;D

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »
I was thinking of where I would want to go and it struck me just how we change. at my age I just can not imagine having an inactive holiday on a cruise or pool hotel. These days I would also find it difficult following the crowd on the tourist trips. So I would have to have my own travel arrangements and schedule and spend just a night here or there.I reckon you can stroll around most cities and see the good sites within just a couple of days with 2 nights sampling their food. So a touring holiday when the temperature is between 25-30 degrees would suit me.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »
We went to Mexico a few years ago.  We came home after a week because our resort was hit by Hurricane Emily, the pictures we took really are something!

Before the hurricane hit it was paradise.  We stayed in the Iberostar Tucán and it was fantasitc; all inclusive, beach, pool, fantastic local market that caters for both 'store' shopping, and those who want to use the language and have a haggle!  According to on-line searches the cost of 5 days for 2 people at the same resort is around £850 ex flights.
[/size]
[/size]Since then we've been to Turkey, which was nice, but slightly more tricky language wise (Turkish and Russian).  The resort was nice, but more club-like, there was a lot of travelling but seeing Kekova (sunken ruins) and places like Myra were worth the long trips.
[/size]
[/size]OH and I have been to Tenby in Wales a couple of times, and it really is a lovely place.  We found it affordable (yep, the exotic holidays were family holidays abroad) and somewhere I'd happily go back to.  Seafood, culture, walks, beaches...perfect!
[/size]North Cliff: http://www.northcliffcaravanpark.co.uk/

[/size]We're off to Cornwall for our honeymoon...it may only be in the next county but we're taking the VW to a lovely quiet site at Keneggy Cove. http://www.kenneggycove.co.uk/

[/size]Not sure if any of this takes your fancy, but its good to share :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:50:16 am »
It all depends on how many horrible diseases you want to collect, and can you carry all the water with you that you will need without buying the local stuff.  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS