Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece  (Read 2287 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Fleece
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:01:56 pm »
Does anyone know where I can buy a fleece that will be good for spinning?  I'm not worried about colour.  there are loads on ebay but I'm very wary about buying unseen.  Other websites don't seem to be up-to-date.  In any case, personal recommendation is always best.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Re: Fleece
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »
Hi MGoM,
I would also be wary of eBay sellers re fleece. I've noticed a lot of them make it look like you're bidding for a whole fleece, but when you look closely it's only 400g!
We have a small farm training group in our area, which I am a member. I've posted a request for fleece on there before and have been very lucky and have been given some fleeces. Do you have anything similar in your area? This is a good time of year to ask, just before shearing starts again!
I also ask people with sheep near me if I could have a fleece or two. Most people are delighted to know it's going to be used. I was given some Alpaca fleece last year- the chap usually burns them!!
Good luck with your search and happy spinning!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:26:57 pm by SmallTimeSmallholder »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:39:43 am »
Lesley, hang fire until you go to your local spinning group.  It's usually not too hard to come across nice fleeces, and/or recommendations of where to get some.

You could also ask on Ravelry.  I bought my Teeswater lambs' locks (as in the stove-top rainbow-dyeing post) from sheersheep on there - beautiful fibre.  They were straight off the lamb, hence dirty - so lost a lot of weight on washing, so take that into account if buying fleece by the kg direct from the sheep.  Michael usually has a few fleeces available so you could PM him directly.

Someone's recently posted in UK Fleeece People, on the "For Sale - fleece" thread, a list of fleeces about to be available - and she's going to check them herself before confirming their availability.

Ravellers would also tell you if they've had good or bad experiences with any proposed eBay sellers too.  I bought some washed Southdown on eBay and it's sound as a pound :)  The seller was allinaspin; he seems to just have tops at the moment but no doubt will have fleeces again later in the season.  I've bought a variety of tops from him too and they've all been superb.  ETA and having just checked if he had any fleeces for you I've bought rather a lot of the tops he has on BuyItNow sale... How did that happen???  :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:20:13 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
Hello,

What sort of fleece are you looking for? I am coming down to Much Wenlock area on Wed 13th and could bring a selection of fleeces for you to have a look at.
All my family spin so I am sure we could find you something nice to work with.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Thanks, all.  Sally I am looking on Ravelry and have seen the post you mentioned.  I'm just very impatient.

Philip have PM'd you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS