Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb carcass prices  (Read 10274 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Lamb carcass prices
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:21:48 pm »
I'm back into sheep after a break (an unlucky one - it was my spine!) of about four years, and I'm out of touch with prices to charge for a whole or half lamb. Can anyone give me a steer on what to ask, please?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lamb carcass prices
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »
Our butcher sells for £2.50/lb. This year we are taking orders for £70/half.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »
I do £60 half, £120 whole.  Boxed and delivered locally.  Not vac-pac'd though.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »
It depends a lot on your costs. You need to set a price that allows you a decent return over and above what you would get if you took the lambs to market (sfter you have costed in the killing, butchering and packaging) but probably allows the customer a better deal than if they bought it joint by joint.

If you have easy access to a good abbattoir nearby that will kill and cut for a reasonable price then it is worth doing.

We have also, in the past set the price per kilo by the current list price for shoulder of lamb in the current Farmer's Guardian. Sell per kilo, not per half/whole
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
we set our prices on local mart prices + kill & cut that way its fair for the customer and you get the going rate. atm prices are not so good though.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:04 pm »
When you say £60 or 70 a half lamb, what weight of lamb are you talking about. My last 2 came back at 19kg a box

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:08 pm »
Our lambs were between 14kg and 19.5kg and we still charged private customers £60 half and £110 whole butchered and bagged. People are happy to pay for something a little special in that they know exactly how it was reared and how much it was cared for. The butcher price however was very disappointing at £60 per whole lamb from which I obviously had to deduct my slaughter cost of £14 per lamb. Lamb prices were down last year but are apparently now on the up again. He paid me £70 each the previous year. I paid £8 per lamb butchered for my customers which I thought was very reasonable especially as he charged no extra for special request cuts and vac packing. We had to feed our lambs ALOT though last year due to the weather and crappy grass.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »
Thanks, everyone. That's really helpful. With pigs, I tend to sell per half or quarter, regardless of weight, because they don't vary that much, but with lambs, it will be different. Very grateful to you all.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:27:08 am »
I think last year they were between 10.5 -13.5 kg per side. Its still cheaper than the butchers and people seem happy to pay. I've sold 7 out of 12 so far this year and the oldest are only 6 weeks old!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:07:33 pm by twizzel »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS