Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning wheel  (Read 8509 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Spinning wheel
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »
I have just tried out an Ashford spinning wheel that someone was selling on Ravelry and of course I then had to buy it.   :excited: :excited: :excited: Now I'm thinking about a drum carder so I'm going to be looking back through threads on here.  And, of course, I need some fleece.

Chezzer, who sold me the wheel, lives locally and has told me about the spinners' group she belongs to so I am off to join at the next meeting.   :excited:

Looks like I'm going to be busy.   :excited: :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »
You will be hooked  :excited: :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:28 pm »
 :excited: an excellent choice of wheel, I'm not bias  :innocent: but I love my ashford traditional.

you are posh going for a drum carder. I've only just moved up in the world from my dog comb and brushes to hand carders  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
I love my drum carder. It makes carding so much easier although its expensive to buy one.
This is where I bought mine from. I believe several others on here have one from the same place too.
http://classiccarder.co.uk/drum-carders/standard-drum-carders/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »
Thanks for the link, Sally.  I was going to go through all the threads to see if I could find it.  I have seen one one ebay for £165 new but want to have a closer look.  I think I'm already hooked.  I learned to spin over thirty years ago but preferred the weaving.  Now I have more time I can do both.

Mammyshaz, they are lovely aren't they?  You may be able to answer a question that the lady who sold it to me couldn't.  The bit that holds the bobbin - the maiden bar - has a knob on it and is also hinged.  I did wonder if it opened out but looking at the Ashford site, the knob is described as a drive band tension knob and it seems more likely that the top bit just lifts up to put more tension on the drive band.  Am I right and what is the purpose of tightening the drive band?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
mGm I'm not the most experienced having only had mine six months but I have a little knowledge so here goes.  :D

If it is the knob below the bobbin then yes it is to tighten the drive band which goes around the wheel then the bobbin. Sometimes ( especially when first used ) it stretches. The knob simply lifts the bobbin bar a bit further away from the wheel, thus tightening the band. If it feels too tight when spinning then you can loosen it to lower the bobbin.

If it is the knob pointing out towards the wheel then this is to tighten or loosen the band which loops around your bobbin then attaches to the hook next to it, to adjust the tension and get a good spinning bobbin.

Somebody with a more technical explanation will hopefully be along for your query. Until then I hope this makes sense  ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »
congrats!!!  and 'what she said' !  I have the same wheel and love it.  Instructions downloadable here in case it didnt come with them   http://www.ashford.co.nz/newsite/spinning-wheels/20/spinning/traditional-single-drive/moredetail.html I'll bring some fleece when I come!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:06 pm »
Thanks for the info, Mammyshaz.  I knew about the knob on the side as the previous owner showed me how to tighten it.

Fi, thanks for the link.  It did come without instructions as she had bought it secondhand.  If you're bringing fleece, you are going to have to come sooooooooooon.   ;D

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »
Hi,

Chezzer, who sold me the wheel, lives locally and has told me about the spinners' group she belongs to so I am off to join at the next meeting.
I'm sooooo jealous, I haven't been able to find any groups locally, so will have to pester everyone on here, when I have a problem
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:14 pm »
Great news Lesley  :thumbsup:

I thnik chezzer was selling a Traveller, wasn't she?  Every bit as good and versatile as a Traddy, and sits happily on its four feet on a seat in the car en route to Guild etc  ;) :D

You'll be joining Ashford UK Spinners on Ravelry - one of the friendliest helpfullest places on Rav.  Nearly as nice as TAS  ;) :D

Cheviot, there are Guilds in Dumfries and Edinburgh.  I travel 40 miles to my Guild and it's worth every drop of diesel.  Have you asked on Ravelry in one of the Scottish Spinning groups for any other, more local spinning / fibre groups?

One by one, we're taking over... :spin:  :knit:  :spin:  :knit:  :excited: :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:47:11 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:02 pm »
Yes, Sally, it is the Traveller  and you're way behind me - I joined Ashford UK Spinners group in January (must have known I was going to get a wheel).  Today I joined the UK spinners group and the UK Fleeece people.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
Yes, Sally, it is the Traveller  and you're way behind me - I joined Ashford UK Spinners group in January (must have known I was going to get a wheel).  Today I joined the UK spinners group and the UK Fleeece people.

Good choices.  See you there!   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:53:03 am »

I'm sooooo jealous, I haven't been able to find any groups locally, so will have to pester everyone on here, when I have a problem
Cheviot, keep looking as the group may not be an offical 'Guild' group as our isn't. They said it cost too much to join but in every other way they are the same.
I found my group in a very roundabout way. Went to pick up a fleece to teach myself and the woman there gave me the name of someone in my area who spins. I contacted that person and asked if she would give me a couple of spinning lessons and she said she could but that there was a local group who meet every week. Result  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:51:47 pm »
Hi,

Chezzer, who sold me the wheel, lives locally and has told me about the spinners' group she belongs to so I am off to join at the next meeting.

Cheviot - I think there is a group that meets at Broughton? Do you want me to find out more/contcat details?

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:54 pm »
Hi,

Cheviot - I think there is a group that meets at Broughton? Do you want me to find out more/contcat details?
Anke that would be wonderful  :thumbsup:, as Broughton is only 13 miles from me.
Thank you
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS