Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shed Repairs?  (Read 19586 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Shed Repairs?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
Good call - I fell foul of this ruling by replacing one of my sheds after the slab had become unstable - I removed all the structure and rebuilt from the ground up - if I had just put a structure around the original one it would have been classed as a repair.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »
Other than the lean the walls are in usable condition, one needs some planks replaced as they were ripped off in a break in.

I was wondering if it is worth replacing the roof first (as it will add some structure), and reinforce the structure of the walls, and somehow jacking up the shed or tilting if forward to slip a pre-made floor in under it...
Would that sound all legal and logical?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
It sounds very sensible and potentially quite doable.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 05:26:54 pm »
you are allowed to replace in a 'mend' situation, so if you're replacing like with like then you won't need PP.  Alternatively you could always build one 'inside' the existing and gradually peel away the outer leaf  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:15 am »
Ok, so I've got the plan of how to do it... Now, what is the cheapest material to use?

lachlanandmarcus suggested plyboard and onduline for the roof... I did look at some onduline in Homebase, and was tempted with it, but to fix straight to the 'rafters', then fill the gaps with foam or something similar to stop the birds getting in.
If I'm plyboarding it I might as well felt it...

Any other suggestions?

I'm guessing plyboard is my best option for the floor as well?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:27 am »
See if you can get marine plywood from china - its ace stuff ;) and cheaper to ship it over than buying anything else - think it has to do with the total lack of health and safety with the chems used in china ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:32 am »
Ok, so I've got the plan of how to do it... Now, what is the cheapest material to use?

lachlanandmarcus suggested plyboard and onduline for the roof... I did look at some onduline in Homebase, and was tempted with it, but to fix straight to the 'rafters', then fill the gaps with foam or something similar to stop the birds getting in.
If I'm plyboarding it I might as well felt it...

Any other suggestions?

I'm guessing plyboard is my best option for the floor as well?

Plywood to me would suggest a layered material of thin layers of solid wood. I was thinking more of OSB board which is cheaper, pressed together bits of wood, like very large chips chipboard.

The issue with felting is that it isn't that long lasting at the folds/ corners. I def wouldn't use onduline without a board beneath as it may sag. The stopping up of all the gaps with foam would likely mean condensation and damp.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
onduline is all right without boards under so long as you have a proper pitch to it, say > 15 degrees. For a shed that seems unlikely, as their roofs are usually pretty flat, in which case put some board under it - I use shuttering ply as its fairly weather proof and fairly cheap.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »

Plywood to me would suggest a layered material of thin layers of solid wood. I was thinking more of OSB board which is cheaper, pressed together bits of wood, like very large chips chipboard.

Yes sorry that's what I meant, always end up referring to it as ply for some reason!

One of my sheds had thick felt on it, and that lasted about 5 years, until a rubbing tree snagged it and let water in...  My worry with board and then onduline is mice nesting in the gaps...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »

Yes sorry that's what I meant, always end up referring to it as ply for some reason!

One of my sheds had thick felt on it, and that lasted about 5 years, until a rubbing tree snagged it and let water in...  My worry with board and then onduline is mice nesting in the gaps...
I havent had and issue with it but if the shed is for storage (ours is stables so want plenty of ventilation on top of the front and back vents in the mini barn) then you can get foam strips that onduline supply which fit the profile of the sheets perfectly (but are also removeable meaning you can reuse the onduline sheets in the future if you decided to). They are pretty cheap to buy two and will look much better and no trimming of madly escaping foam :-DDDDD
http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/coroline-corrugated-bitumen-roof-eaves-fillers-pack-of-6-pack-of-4.html

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:26 am »
OSB is a nightmare if it gets wet - so can be cheap ply - but marine ply will stand upto alot more than OSB  - its also more rigid so it would mean less supporting framework (in my world of bodge jobbing anyway)

Baz

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:46 am »
You also get wbp ply which is water and boil proof ply.  If it's for a roof, don't do thinks cheaply you will live to regret it  :tired:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:31 am »
I've had a quick look at prices for boards at Wickes (as there is one down the road), marine ply is a bit more than I want to spend.  OSB is a tad better.

If I use OSB, would treating it beforehand help?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »
first rule.

DONT GO TO WICKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless your minted.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 01:29:56 pm »
first rule.

DONT GO TO WICKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless your minted.

like button required

find a proper timber yard, shop around you'll be amazed how much cheaper they are than any of the big metal shed diy stores!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS