Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shed Repairs?  (Read 19585 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Shed Repairs?
« on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »
I have a shed that is in very bad condition, I was going to replace, but it looks like I would need planning permission for that.

The shed's roof has pretty much collapsed, the floor is rotten, and the whole thing leans backwards.

What is the cheapest way to replace the roof?  Board and felt, platic sheets, or roofing sheets?

How do I replace the floor without removing the sides?

What is the best way to bring back some structure and stop it leaning?  I was thinking a couple of diagonal struts inside might work?

Other than enviromental issues, what is the downside to treating the wood with used engine oil?  Will it make it much more of a fire hazard?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Shed Repairs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »
Why would you need pp to replace an existing structure like for like?
I would take lots of photos incl ones showing measurements and then replace it.

If not, then the lightest easy DIY roof material is probably onduline with a lining of OSB board under neath.
If the floor is under the walls and rotten then I don't see any way round doing that properly without taking the walls down.

If it is only leaning a tiny bit then acro props and scaffold boards against the wall might help, diagonal bracing would help to prevent lean but would be unlikely to cure a substantial lean once it starts.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »
Its agricultural land, not residental, and under 0.4ha so basically I have no building rights without PP, including sheds!

I'm assuming the floor goes under the walls, and the lean is about 20 degrees at a guess, but pushes back upright by brute force...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:49 pm »
But you aren't building a new one just replacing like for like - definitely check out  with your LA as although I agree you would def need pp for any new building, this if it is a straight replacement isn't creating any new structure that wasn't there before.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:52 pm »
The following applies for under 5ha.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995
[/b]

Class B Development on units of less than 5 hectares

B.    Permitted development

The carrying out on agricultural land comprised in an agricultural unit of not less than 0.4 but less than 5 hectares in area of development consisting of—

(a)the extension or alteration of an agricultural building;
(b)the installation of additional or replacement plant or machinery;
(c)the provision, rearrangement or replacement of a sewer, main, pipe, cable or other apparatus;
(d)the provision, rearrangement or replacement of a private way;
(e)the provision of a hard surface;
(f)the deposit of waste; or
(g)the carrying out of any of the following operations in connection with fish farming, namely, repairing ponds and raceways; the installation of grading machinery, aeration equipment or flow meters and any associated channel; the dredging of ponds; and the replacement of tanks and nets,
where the development is reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture within the unit.

So from reading this surely you can make the repair under TTCP Act  Schedule 2 part 6 para B. as you are making an alteration to an existing agricultural building in that repairing the building is fine. as from what you are saying the walls are fine other than a lean. So you are going to repair the roof and floor and to do so you will need to remove the walls as lomg as you do use the same walls again I cannnot see any reason that you cannot use this section.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »
But that states 'not less than 0.4'...

Mine IS less than 0.4...

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
Sorry miss read your post, but still feel that you could repair it without PP, provided you do not demolish the shed to repair it. BTW what size shed are we talking about?

Pigs are human tooo

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
That is the plan: repair not replace.  ...as that seems my only option!

The worst shed is only 5x6, but a shed is a shed!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:55 am »
A shed is a shed Ed....... unless it's a moveable agricultural building?  ;D

We have a 6x4 shed built on a heavy plywood base with timber runners underneath. It can easily be towed about behind the Landy, or manually on rollers. Worth a thought perhaps?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
I can't really see there being a problem replacing old with new on same floor area.... no planner is likey to object to it looking less of an eyesaw as long as you dont extend in any direction... though it should look similar ie same colour/materiels.   I'm with the suggestion check it out unofficially and keep proof with photos.

Alternative as womble says a 'moveable' shed is not a shed!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:17:24 am »
there is nothing wrong with moving the roof and walls out of the way so that you can repair the floor. then replace the walls and floor...whilst you do so, replace any of the rotten wood..... :innocent:
I needed pp to replace one building (due to being forward of building line) but not to REPAIR as above as was pointed out in a very helpful way by the LA officer :thumbsup: .... now done with concrete floor, etc :excited:

if it doesnt look worse/bigger/more intrusive than the old one and you haven't pi**ed your neighbours right off.... how will they know?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:25 am »
When I bought the farm here - the owner had sold previously a corner of one field with an old hay barn in it to another fellow.

The other fellow cant get planning to rebuild the structure as his land is really small too - ultimately he doesnt live here either.

All that was left of the old barn was the uprights - and I have been told this was the key.

If you have a structure with at least 1.5 meters of wall and a little bit of roof - even if it has fallen in - you can repair it as you like without planning.

The best course of action I would suggest is ask your neighbours if you have any if they have any objections - if they dont - just rebuild and dont involve the planners at all.

Wing it.

Baz

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »
The neighbour will have issues with whatever I do, as he is trying to force me to sell him the land. So whatever I do must be done

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:40:23 pm »
...legally.

(phone cut off last word!)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 01:11:57 pm »
I would get some scaffolding in to support the walls then take off the roof and take out the floor and then replace the floor with new walls inside the old ones and new roof/ Taking photos all the way.
Neighbour wont be able to do anything, its repair of an existing building, no PP needed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS