Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Manège Construction - Update  (Read 1378 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Manège Construction - Update
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:50 pm »
Hi again. I've been asked for an update and a few details/costings on our manège project. I can't find the old thread so putting the update here.
Only my opinion (and experience), but firstly, I can't stress enough how important good drainage is. We went for herringbone and that in turn leads out to an existing ditch. The drainage is on an incline to encourage the water to flow out to the ditch.
The most time consuming part of it all is getting the site ready, digging trenches and moving the earth getting everything level and ready for the 1st layer (shingle/small stone or similar). Then there is the problem of finding somewhere to put all the unwanted debris. Our site was concreted (and in a poor state) prior to removal so that made life much more difficult than moving topsoil.
We have used a membrane and decided on sand as a surface. My reasons for this is I don't like rubber surfaces, it rots down and becomes a black mush at the base, and adding more rubber on top only covers it, not removes it. and of course there is the disposing of rubber problem which seems to cause so much controversy. Also I've experience of a new rubber school being put in and they make the whole area smell very unpleasant for a long time.
With regard to cost, doing it on a diy basis, with own machinery (so no costs there apart from upkeep and fuel) the end price is still in the region of 10k.
I've missed out loads but I think that answers the questions I was asked. If anyone wants to know more, am happy to pass on our experiences.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS