Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fantastic day!!!  (Read 5846 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Fantastic day!!!
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:31:01 pm »
well, weekend really

looks like the wedding venue has been picked and we have the band we want to (which was a huge bonus and may have led to wedding date being moved if they couldn't do it!) we are now just between 2 dates next year - 13th August (woooo friday 13th) or 20th - all will depend on when the Nairn highland games are - as i'd like the Irish contingent to be able to go see a Highland games when they are here!

Also, we've got about 90% of what needs to be organised done and dusted and most of the folk we are inviting have confirmed they'll travel the globe to come to the wedding - which was nice otherwise i'd be at risk of having none of my mates there as they are all spread around the globe now!

I've also got the financing for my new business venture in place - though still a bit of work to do on that one yet before it's a green light

then there is the garden

we've had our first harvest of strawbs this year - yummmmmm!!!!

The carrots, fennel and beetroot that refused to germinate 2 months ago were resown and they are through now!! hooray!!

I lifted my first "bag" of spuds today (i don't somne earlies in containers and today i lifted a bag and got just over a kilo of good sized spuds back out) they are currently being steamed for sunday dinner (which was also made using my 1st 'wet' garlic also lifted this morning

all the fruit beds have been weeded and i'm pleased to say all the berries are coming on great - i'll be putting some fence posts and wire up in the next few days to support them. Last years rasps and blackberries (and red currants) are looking braw!

I have chiilis galore in the greenhouse - my hot cherry plants have 2/3 chillis each and a ton of flowers, so the glut is coming!!! And the peppers aren't far behind them

I've cleared some more space in the rhubarb patch - last years is looking great, the new corwns have taken well and will be ready for eating next year, but i've done 8 plants from seed and they are looking good in pots, so they are going out into the rhubarb patch now, i expect it to be 2 years before i get anything back from them

all in all, a good day - the house reeks of garlic and carrot cake being baked by the future mrs SB

i'm off for a shower - it's been a grand weekend and life is good!!!

Oh, and work starts on the stables going up this week. Once that's done i can move my greenhouses up beside them and start work clearing the site for the polytunnel that's going up in the autumn. WOOHOO!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Re: Fantastic day!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
What a productive weekend! And all I've managed is to transplant some iceberg/lollo rossa/broccoli, weed the garlic and onions and today visited Bo'ness.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »
And all I've done today is chat to my son for hours about genetics and the sable gene in our breed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:04 pm »
Well done you! Have you picked your outfit? What I mean is - are you wearing the kilt on the big day?

See the recipe for rhubarb champagne - you can make some for the wedding!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
Well done sounds like a fullfillinf day!  I love the Nairn Highland Games too, may just make it there this year if its 2nd weekend of August.  I have very fond memories of Nairn, many of them involving underage drinking!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Hmmm, yes - the Marquee Dance? :-[ :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »
http://www.nairnhighlandgames.co.uk/ - Nairn Highland games are the 15th August this year. Traditionally they are the 1st saturday after the glorious 12th. However, for 2010 they currently have a provisional date of 21st August - but they are trying to arrange to swap that with one of the other games events so they can have the 14th - hence the delay in booking our venue!!! grrrrr

the "dress" is picked - i own my own kilt and will be wearing that - though i'm sure i might spring for a new tie/shirt to give it that little je ne sais quoi

Rhubarb champers might be an idea - the hotel does corkage, so on our trip to the Limousin in 4 weeks, we'll be filling the car up with fizz and wine for teh big event!! though i'll probably drink it long before and i'll probably need to go back for more!!

I have asked the hotel if i can supply some veg from my garden for the meal - not that i'm looking for a discount, just a nice wee touch so i can tell folk i grew the veg used in dinner. and we'll try for somethig with strawbs for pudding and i can supply them too!!! And maybe grow the flowers for the tables too (though for that i am looking to be a tight hielander!!)

The spuds turned out to be nice and floury - they'll be great mashed!! And the carrot cake was to die for too!!

topped the evening off by having a viewing for my flat in edinburgh for which i'm trying to find a new tenant. busy busy busy!!!

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:03 am »
Oh Sellickbhoy you sound so excited about your wedding!  My husband was not as excited in the preparation of ours - although I got exactly what I wanted when I asked him his opinion, he just wanted me to have the day I always wanted.  I would do it all over again from the organising to the day itself  ;D

One idea for the strawberries would be to do chocolate strawberries  :yum: they are easy peasy to make (using Cadburys Chocolate - buttons or milk chocolate bars broken up) anytime I bring them to a party/BBQ they are snapped up!  They are so yummy but don't know if you would have the time the day before but then again you might have some volunteers to help ;).  Don't know if they would do the dessert but maybe for the drinks reception when people are waiting for the dinner. 

Just thought that you might be able to hire a chocolate fountain and put fruit from your garden next to it, then there is not too much hastle and everyone can sample your fab fruit!  Wouldn't recommend the future SB to go up to it in her wedding dress, I would be so afraid id get chocolate on my dress, so be prepared to do a bit of fetching for her  ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:40 am »
Going off at a tangent here sorry. If you had any idea what went onto these Chocolate Fountains you would never touch them. For years I was manager of hotels that would do hundreds of weddings a year and there was a phase where these fountains were all the rage. Eventually after much frustration I put a stop on them and the hotels I managed would not allow them in. Eventually the company I worked for saw sense and enforced an over all ban in its 65 hotels.

Many of the operators of these machines have no cleanliness, no adequate storeage and certainly no cleaning/washing up utensils with them. The fruit can be left sitting outside on the car or van for hours - uncovered and full of flies etc. The worst thing is to make the chocolate "flow" they add lots and lots and lots and lots of cheap vegetable cooking oil. Enough to give you the boak eh? Honestly I have witnessed so much disgusting conditions with these machines and their operators that I would never allow anyone of my family to eat from them.

Sorry, Sellickbhoy - you have a  fantastic day with or without a chocolate fountain hee hee. These are only my beliefs before I start another onslaught here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:16:15 am by jameslindsay »

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:35:52 am »
there won't be Chocolate fountains at the wedding - it's going to be a tasteful affair

we are supplying our own fizz for the reception drinks, so i'm gonna put a bowl of my own strawberries out if folk want a wee strawberry or 2 in their fizz.

we'll also put some orange juice out if folk prefer bucks fizz - not everyone likes bubbly, so that'll give them something to flavour it with.

we are planning on having colcannon with the meal (that'll please the irish) so i'll see if I can supply my own spuds and kale for that - and i'll try get some of my own french beans and carrots too.

for pudding we fancy cranachan so i'll see how my summer rasps do this year and maybe i can use them. If not we'll look at something strawberry'ish - pavlova is a fav of ours

and if course, leek and tattie soup to start with - so i can manage that too.

none of that should be too burdensome for me - or the hotel.

And if i get my carrots right - i might have a wee lsice of carrot cake for everyone in the evening (along with the wedding cake)

we are also looking at making our own chilli tablet to have with the coffees - my own chillis are coming along nicely this year, and next year i'll be even further along and a nice bit of chilli tablet could also mark the occasion. though i'm beginning to wonder what i'll actually be paying this place for!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:19 am »
You are so well organised, well done you! It should be a unique experience for most of your guests getting to taste so much home grown produce that has been grown by someone they know. My mouth is watering at the thought of it all.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
Sorry Sellickbhoy  :( I obviously didn't have enough information on chocolate fountains to have advised you on them.  I personally don't think they are tacky, but after reading what I read on them thanks to James I will never go near one again.  Thankfully I only tried on once at our X Mas party last year, no symptoms so far  :)

If you don't mind me asking, is there any Irish blood in either you or your OH?  You seem to be catering for them quite well in your wedding meal  ;)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
Forgot to thank James on the information re the chocolate fountains - migraine day today  :P so my brain tends to switch off every now and again (it can be tiredness related - might be today, as I was dreaming that one of my fingers fell off!!).  I have tablets for it but they cost €12.00 for each tablet!  Don't like taking them so I try and fight it as much as possible, but I normally know when I'm beaten and have to take one then.  on the fountains - its frightening how people can be so dirty, I can never imagine doing it myself and therefore could not imagine anyone else doing it too!  Anymore things to look out for James?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
Forgot to thank James on the information re the chocolate fountains - migraine day today  :P so my brain tends to switch off every now and again (it can be tiredness related - might be today, as I was dreaming that one of my fingers fell off!!).  I have tablets for it but they cost €12.00 for each tablet!  Don't like taking them so I try and fight it as much as possible, but I normally know when I'm beaten and have to take one then.  on the fountains - its frightening how people can be so dirty, I can never imagine doing it myself and therefore could not imagine anyone else doing it too!  Anymore things to look out for James?

Nothing more that springs to mind you will be delighted to hear!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »
The Future Mrs SB (Karen) is from Lusk just north of Dublin.

so her entire family are from Ireland. They have a couple of aunts/uncles down in Cork - which is near your part of the world i'm guessing and her brother lives in Stab City (limerick)

My mothers side of the family are all of irish desent - but it was several generations before my grandfather was born - so they are scottish now. But my Mum and a few uncles were desperate to go to ireland for a wedding and were hoping it would be over there. But the Future Mrs SB wanted a scottish wedding in the highlands!

We are fond of a nice wee chocolate fondue with the fruit in it, but i'm not a  fan of chocolate fountains at weddings, fine for Anne Summers parties and kids events, but that's about it!  :)

the band we have booked will be doing a ceilidh as well as a good few scottish and irish folk songs, we'll be ending the night with Auld lang Syne and then Amhrán na bhFiann (in Irish)

I'm hoping to embarrass the bejeesus out of her sister by getting her to do an Irish dancing demonstration for us at the wedding too - but apparently that's just cruel!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS