Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does this pregnant ewe need attention - Update  (Read 11704 times)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Re: Does this pregnant ewe need attention?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »
How is the ewe? have you given her a high energy drench? If nothing at hand id be making a glucose drink mix (flat lucozade, sugar n water / digestive biscuits or anything really at this stage.
Sheep

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »
As above, you need to get energy into her at short regular intervals, now, if you don't have twin lamb drench or glucose, get some honey, treacle, or sugar solution into her asap.  Also if you have a vitamin drench give her this, there is vit B12 in twin lamb drench, if she is likely to be calcium deficient then would recommend getting some calciject (calcium with magnesium ) into her asap.
We have managed to save an old ewe that we hadn't realised was pregnant with drenches, soaked sugar beet, she was down for some 2 weeks before lambing, and it then took a few days after lambing for her to recover and be  up on her feet again. Try different feeds to tempt her to eat, if she isn't ruminating you can buy a rumen stimulant, or you can steal cud from another sheep to help get her ruminating again.
Good luck
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:17:32 pm by Blacksheep »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 06:38:28 pm »
Vet turned up and treated her.
My thanks to foobar and zakthelad for their quick and helpful replies.
Editing to say just seen your reply blacksheep, thanks for the info. Appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:41:18 pm by OhLaLa »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:50 pm »
How is she?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
Thanks for asking - under observation with drenches twice daily.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:36 pm »
 :fc :fc: :fc: :fc: :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 07:36:33 pm »
Good-o, fingers crossed she has a swift and full recovery.  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 10:09:14 am »
OhLaLa, did the vet say what it was?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 11:51:15 am »
Hope she is doing well?

Its maybe time to be pro-active and find a better vet! grab the phone book and ring your local agricultural collage and ask them to recomend a farm vet in your area, yours sounds crap, mine would have been out in 6hrs tops.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
It isn't always possible to have such a good choice.  here in Brittany   in  a very agricultural region my vet who is good and gives prompt attention is basically a cattle man his knowledge of sheep which are rarely kept in any sizeable number  does not figure on his radar. I find it is better to have some idea of what direction things are gonig in order to be able to prompt my vet as to what problem he is looking at.  Also they are in the large majority of cases looking for solutions of economy as that is what drives most farmers around here ( not that its a bad thing) but keeping a ewe alive or treating her for twin lamb disease may well not be considered an emergency rather an appointment with a bullet sad but true.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »
Hope she does well  :fc:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:46 pm »
Bionic - he diagnosed Toximia (Twin Lamb D).
Early days yet, but I got the ewe to take a little water today and she nibbled a bit at some feed. She let out a couple of good bleats this afternoon in response to her pals (this morning she wasn't even up to that), but is still laying down. Still having drench.
If anyone has any ideas for me to help her improve, please post them here.
And thanks again, had some good replies which I have acted on.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
How about trying her with a few treat type foods to wet her appetite and encourage her to eat.  My ewes enjoy a slice of white bread, an apple cut up in segments and some sliced fingers of carrots when they get the chance!  Really pleased to hear you ewe is showing signs of recovery and the fact that she is now having a small drink of water is great news.   

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 12:37:48 pm »
Had to dial in to thank you zakthelad. I've never offered them bread.
Having read your post this morning I went out there with a couple of slices. I've seldom seen a slice of bread enjoyed so much - ended up feeding her the second slice as morsels of soaked sugarbeet sandwiches, which was followed by her first really good slurp of water in days.
Read about offering lettuce as well, turned her nose up at that.
Still laying down so it was 'breakfast in bed', but it's perked me up that she took it so readily.
Many many thanks.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »
Excellent news - hopefully she will have turned a corner now and be tempted by her sandwiches to make a full recovery.  She might slowly regain her appetite no.   I'm really pleased for you - well done for keeping with it and doing all you can for her  :hug:w

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS