Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Please! Problem with Bottle Fed Lambs Walking  (Read 3739 times)

Pippin

• Joined Mar 2013
Help Please! Problem with Bottle Fed Lambs Walking
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
Hello all, please be kind as it is my first post - sorry it's long! We keep a few sheep and have two bottle fed lambs that are now two weeks old.  The were two of triplets (third stillborn) and mother had no milk.  We found them very cold but took them into the house, tubed them with collustrum and got them on the bottle.  Both were after a day standing and then starting to walk a little.  Throughout the last week and a half they have both had problems standing, coming and going.  They can't get up but once stood and held up for a minute or so will stand and walk.  One is quite weak behind but the other walks like a normal lamb when up and about.  They both have good appetites and are bright within themselves.  Last week the vet saw them both and wanted to check it wasn't Schmallengerg virus, he said he was pretty sure it wasn't but other than that pretty unhelpful, an experienced friend said it could be selenium difficiency so they have both had a small amount of selenium drench but this hasn't made any difference.  Yesterday morning they were both very floppy throughout their whole bodies instead of just their legs when I went out for first feed, but bright and alert.  It took a minute or so to get each to stand but once stood they were bright, up and on feet until lunchtime, laid down at lunchtime, went all floppy and process started again.  Breathing, eating and pooping all normal.  I am wondering if neurological, we have five other lambs here, all healthy.  I'm not really sure what to do, they are part of the family now and we want to do what we can for them but they don't seem to be improving  ??? Any help really appreciated!

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
Re: Help Please! Problem with Bottle Fed Lambs Walking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:56 pm »
I suggest you look on page 3 at the topic "lamb unable to stand" sorry I'm new myself and don't know how to put in links.

Hope this helps.

Pippin

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »
That is great thank you, sounds very similar, our vet said it could be copper deficiency but that he couldn't inject as if it wasn't that it would kill them?!  We mentioned White Muscle Disease / selinium defiency as had been suggested but he said he didn't think it would be that.  Pretty sure it's not joint ill either as once they're up they're good.  We have given them penecillin but that hasn't made any difference.  Think I might speak to the vet again and check that they really can't do anything  :-\ ???

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=32047.msg321956#msg321956
is the topic that Cosmo is referring to.
I posted on that one also, but wanted to add here that selenium may be better given in these lambs in an injectable form, either repeating a short acting one for a few days, or a long acting injection.
Sorry to hear your vet wasn't much help though! They should be happy to give you some selenium, and a bit of advice on how to give it if you're not sure.
It's always a good sign if everything else is OK, they're bright and eating, so well worth giving a shot.
I have seen the occasional neurological lamb as well, I can't actually remember whether or where I have posted on here, but I did see some texel cross lambs that tended to get floppy and fall over when excited, but with a bit of physiotherapy - getting them up and walking around they came right (although still occasionally fell over when excited as grown lambs ready for slaughter!)
I think if you get the recommended selenium in by injection, and check any other deficiencies common in the area with your vets, and a bit of TLC, they should come right.
All the best
Suzanne

PS just noticed your second post, it may or may not be white muscle disease/ selenium deficiency, but selenium isn't very toxic to sheep so giving them a dose won't hurt. The vet is quite right that copper has a fine balance in sheep, there's not a lot of difference between the amount that's deficiency, and the amount that's toxic to a sheep, so he's quite right not to inject if not sure about copper. I think the selenium and getting them up for a few days may well just sort them out, so  :fc: for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS