Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How hard is it to find a small piece of land?  (Read 2230 times)

loopylou

• Joined Feb 2013
  • East Lothian
How hard is it to find a small piece of land?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:51 am »
I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a few acres to rent for my little piggies and small veg plot.  I have a small area off land that I currently have 4 pigs on but was looking for a few acres more but I just cant seem to find anything close by. 

Have any of you guys found this problem or would anyone know of any land for rent near Ormiston or Pencaitland?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Re: How hard is it to find a small piece of land?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:20:24 am »
I cant help but can sympathise. We are searching and have been for a couple of years for a suitable block of land for us. Seems near impossible to find anything suitable at a fair price.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:24:15 am »
I would think that it will be near impossible to find "grazing" for pigs. Very few landowners would be prepared to rectify the mess pigs will make of it.... Sorry if his sounds patronising, but after last summer when most fields were trashed even by sheep it wil become even more difficult. If you can keep small numbers of pigs on land you own you would probably be best to keep the herd small and stay there.

Easier for sheep, and cattle, but again where you are near to Edinburgh small parcels will probably be "gazumped" by horse owners also desperate and often more fluid in the cash department....

loopylou

• Joined Feb 2013
  • East Lothian
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:08 pm »
I know that the state of the fields round our area are a total joke.  I have my horse near the house and most of his field is trashed.  I think you are right about horses having a big hold on the smallest of land as the owners will get a premium for the rent.  Well fingers crossed that we get something sorted out.  Just wish I was in a better position to buy a small holding myself but it is a catch 22 need to grow the business a bit for that to happen but no land to grow it on!!  Need a lottery win. Thanks

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »
im working on the lottery win plan!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »
See post in Coffee Lounge about farmshare

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS