Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick rabbit  (Read 9248 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Sick rabbit
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »
As I have posted the last 2 weeks I have a very poorly rabbit and today it was confirmed as Miximitosis. She had been injected against it but it hasn't done it's job. Her wee body is full of lumps and bump and her eyes are a mess. The sad thing is in herself she is the same wee rabbit she always was, running about having fun and eating well. The vet phoned to confirm the diagnosis this afternoon and said there was little chance of her recovering and it was better to put her to sleep. They say she on on no pain but will be a bit uncomfortable just now and the other rabbit we have is now showing signs too and they are kept in separate cages. They did spend 12 hours or more each day running around outside and share a paddock with the hens and 7 Pygmy Goats. She looks a mess but this putting her to sleep on Monday is a difficult decision when you see her playing outside.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sick rabbit
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:51:16 pm »
Oh, what a shame.  Poor rabbits and poor you.  I had a similar decision to make some years ago when two of our pups we bred had the same heart defect - one showed obvious signs at 8 weeks, we were told she wouldn't survive the operating table to correct the fault and would die within a month.  The other one showed no symptoms at all and at 6 months we found a home for her after having her operated on. She was fit and well after it.  But we just let the little one do what she liked when she liked and she lived till she was two!  She was far below her normal size and weight but lived a life of Royalty - our lives revolved around Button.

It's always a hard decision to take but I've often heard people say of parents or friends who have gone on in pain and great disability that if they had been an animal they'd have been treated with more respect and given peace.

I'll be thinking of you both.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:55:30 pm »
Thanks Annie. It would be so much easier if I knew she was in pain. I know they say Mixi is not a nice death for rabbits (if dying ever is). It is just so upsetting when you see her run around like any normal rabbit to think that we should do what the vet is saying. Perhaps by Monday she will have deteriorated but I think if she is as she is now we will leave her a few more days. It will be horrendous if we have to loose both the rabbits at the same time.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:17:49 pm »
sorry to hear about your rabbit. its a very nasty infection i would consider what the vet says very carefully.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »
So sorry to hear bout your rabbits, but I would defintiely follow the vets advice because although your rabbit might be OK now it is a slow and horrible death.  It would be better to PTS before she starts going down hill and suffering.  I really feel for you!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
Thanks, I have to take them both to the vets tomorrow so we will wait and see what they say then. The last thing is I want for any of them to suffer but while they seem so happy I hate to think I'm doing it and there is a chance... I will go on the vets advice though, this is the worst part of keeping any animal isn't it?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »
Absolutely, but we are also in a very privelidged position in that we can stop them from suffering.  After caring for them and enjoying their company we have the ability to still protect our animals even in death.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:51:27 pm »
Took Lucy back to the vets this afternoon and Lucy is now asleep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
Best thing for her, James.  Although I know you will not feel so good today, you will realise that tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:23 pm »
So sorry to read that news James,
JD

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »
So sorry to read about your sad news James.

Our thoughts are with you.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:12:35 pm »
Thanks folks. It is just the worst thing taking a pet to the vets and knowing you will be coming home alone. I know there will be people who think it was only a wee rabbit etc but she was my pet for only 10 months and became part of the family. I got to the surgery knowing that I didn't want any of the staff talk to me as I was already "choked" but this is hard as they all know me and all the animals. I saw Mari the vet who is the nicest of nice people and we agreed that the kind thing to do was put Lucy to sleep. So, with the tears streaming my face this is what we did and indeed I did come home alone.

I took the dogs for a walk as it was such a beautiful day here and then came back and just sat amongst all the other pets and smiled to myself as I knew that Lucy had had a brilliant time with us and I have so many other animals to spend my time and attention on. I make no apologies for being a wimp.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »
You're NOT a wimp.  Even having only met you once I am 100% sure that you are a caring gentleman. Wimps don't cry at a loss like this - they whimper and whine!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:44:19 pm »
So sorry to hear the news James. Animals just find their way into a place in your heart, and its so hard when we have to part with them. Making the decision to have them put to sleep is the worst thing in the world. But it is the right thing for her in the long run, and you have comfort from the fact that you gave her a lovely home and lots of love for the time did she did have.

Beth

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 08:04:08 pm »
You're not a wimp - a wimp is someone who will let an animal suffer rather than make the brave decision to call it a day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS