Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A harris hawk tries to attack my border terrier  (Read 3050 times)

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
A harris hawk tries to attack my border terrier
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »
I'm looking for some advice please.  Yesterday I was walking my elderly border terrier, Harry, along a footpath in a field behind my smallholding.  Suddenly, a harris hawk swooped down over my head and towards Harry - and at the same time I heard a shout of "mind your dog" from a copse by the footpath.  Fortunately, Harry was on a lead and close to me - so I was able to distract the bird away from the dog.  The bird then sat in the field by the side of the footpath until the owner called it (with a very brief and grudging apology before he dashed off). 

I'm doing research to find out rights etc.  I believe the owner of the bird was hunting there with the landowner's permission; but I was on a public footpath, with my dog on the lead and I'm concerned that this bird may attack another small dog off the lead and seriously hurt it (I've discovered from the web that a dog about the size of mine has been attacked by one of these birds with serious injuries).

I love to see birds of prey, but this bird isn't wild, it isn't native and it isn't under control. It's also too close to my smallholding (It will go for my chickens, I know - will it also go for geese?).

Does anyone have knowledge on the rights/legal position etc?  Thanks.

blueborage.blogspot.com

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: A harris hawk tries to attack my border terrier
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »
 :o :o , I saw a similar video on You tube, that would certainly terrify anyone, surely its a dangerouse pet rather than a wild animal!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:02 pm »
Some hunts now have to have hawks as they are not allowed to kill the fox with the hounds.  Go figure. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »
If you know the landowner let him know your concerns.  Check if there is a local Austringers/Falconers Association - google should help, and ask their advice.  They police themselves very well in my experience.  My breed of dog is owned by a large number of falconers, many of my pups are working with BoPs
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:15 am »
i dont know but i did meet a chap with a bird of prey (presume a harris hawk or similar) and he was hunting rabbits with the bird and his hungarian visla.
i dont suppose a terrier is much bigger than a big rabbit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS