Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame weaner  (Read 3024 times)

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
Lame weaner
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:34:08 pm »
Hi I have 3 weaners 5 month old one started limping this morning she was OK at 07:30 by 09:00 limping.
They are not easy to handle and don't like being messed about. I have managed to have a quick look but cant see anything obvious. Do you think I can leave it till tomorrow and see if it gets better. The ground is quite hard and frozen at the mo, so may have just twisted it, any thoughts? Ron.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Lame weaner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »
Check for any swelling or other signs I.e. going off food, not coming out, if just the limp will probably just be a twist or boisterous feeding.

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:20 pm »
Yes, she seems to be feeding and holding her own with the other two, will see how she is tomorrow. At feeding this evening I managed to get a good look at it, cleaned it off with a towel, nothing obvious gave it a spray with antiseptic while I had the chance, will see how she is in the morning.

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:09:01 pm »
Still limping, still cant see anything, what to do???

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »
If she's putting weight on it, getting around and doesn't seem to be in pain or distress I'd give her another day (saves a weekend call out from the vet  ;)) Most likely a twist/stave because of the hard ground, the vet will probably give you a jab of anti-inflamitory or if you can get your pig in, onto solid level ground for a couple of days it could well improve all on it's own.
HTH
Karen

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »
Thanks Karen that's what I was thinking, looks like could be cold for a while yet so ground may not thaw in next day or so. She seems happy just about to feed them so will try and have another look.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »
don't forget if you twist your leg, how long it takes you to recover? it's the same with pigs could be limping for a week if it isn't showing any other clinical signs give her a few days

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »
Probably is just a twist/bruise from the frozen ground. If you can't see an obvious injury and she's OK in herself I'd leave it for a few days before calling the vet - minor foot injuries are pretty common in pigs and ours have always got better on their own

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:26 am »
It does look like there's an improvement over the last day or so, so all being well it will sort its self. thanks for the advice. Ron

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »
Glad to hear your piggie is getting better. Just wanted to add to this thread in case anyone else has a lame weaner that can't be explained and doesn't get better after a couple of days. We had a weaner a couple of years back. Went lame for a couple of days and didn't get better. Slightly warm swollen joints. Called vet and he said it was bacterial arthritis and we jabbed with penecillin for 5 days which sorted it out. Cheers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS