Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building a compost loo  (Read 3021 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Building a compost loo
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:01 pm »
Hi everyone, I wasn't sure whether this topic fits here, but does anyone have any experience of building a compost loo? Any thoughts, plans or experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks :tree:
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

HenLivingstone

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Building a compost loo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:56:43 am »
Is this for in a house or just a standalone composting loo down on the small holding? Dick & James Strawbridge covered how to build a standalone one on their TV programme and in the accompanying book.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:31:12 pm »
Brilliant thanks, it's for a standalone. I'll check them out. The preserves book is excellent.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »
Just had a look and can't seem to find any info on Dicks programme content or which book. Any other ideas?! ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
I replied but it must have crashed, happening to me a lot these days!  Anyway, we have 2 standalones but they are extravigant bucket types but worth me photographing tomorrow at least for entertainment value if nothing else, it'll give you inspiration at least  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:49:56 pm »
I got you're reply thanks, I'd posted in two places as I wasn't sure where best to place this question, i think your answer was on the other thread. I'd love some photos  :)

I thought (not sure where I've got it from) that you had to separate pee and poo? 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:18 pm »
Photos of two first is the turret and its interior with nicely cut hole and lid and hinged sawdust box and secondly the caravan extension one with its interior, much the same, both bucket type.  There's a diagram of something more serious and how it works in the James Strawbridge book published last year (sorry don't have it to hand to get the name).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:12 pm »
We built a 'tree bog' style composting loo last year. Works well and was dead easy to build. A couple of pictures and links are on our website:
http://www.hempsalsfarm.com/2012/04/composting-loo-and-kids-area/

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »
Thanks goosepimple, great photos, I love the turret. A real throne house ;D 

I also like the idea of the treebog, though I guess that would need a bit more space.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS