Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uses for fallen leaves - ideas  (Read 3087 times)

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
Uses for fallen leaves - ideas
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »
We are still trying to finish raking up the fallen leaves, and boy there are lots of them.  Got me thinking that there must be something more useful to do with them than dumping them in a heap. 

We have tried a couple of ideas, but short term and limited:

1. While they were still green our sheep ate lots of them.
2. Filling dips in the ground.
3. Make a big pile and let the chickens dig around eating the worms out of it (free food!)

Anyone got any good ideas and experiences?

deepinthewoods

Re: Uses for fallen leaves - ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »
leaf mould compost, put them all in a heavy duty black bin bag and let them rot down for 2 years. best potting /seed compost ever.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:01:32 pm »
yup, compost. I just rake them all up and pile them in the compost bin, I don't bother making leaf mould and they rot down just fine. And the chucks think a pile of freshly raked leaves is the best game ever.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
duck bedding ... doesn't last long but if done fresh there are plenty of slugs and worms in it... and it goes well on the compost heap afterwards

Ian

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:21:22 pm »
Guy here packs his leaves in wire netting cyclinders, which he then positions to whatever he wants: fences, forts, whatever.  He even uses them as planters.

a leaf fence, see here, in whatever shape you want to.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:06:12 am »
Just to mention....   There've been pleas to burn any leaves that could contain ash leaves this year, in case of spreading ash dieback...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:00:00 am »
Send any surplus here - I'd love loads of leaves for leaf mould...  ;)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »
We scatter them in the chicken runs. They love scratching through them, wet or dry. When they get too soiled they get raked up and composted. More go in.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05:01 pm »
Gather them when dry(ish) and store in builders dumpy bags.  Use as bedding in the chicken houses and  when cleaning out, put the whole lot in the compost bin to rot down more quickly than just leaves :thumbsup: .  We also buy all chicken and sheep food in paper sacks and use them on the floor of the chicken houses with the leaves on top.  Makes great compost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS