Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dissertation Survey  (Read 6232 times)

mb03

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Dissertation Survey
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
Done. Very interesting, what are you trying to discover?
I can "talk"to my pigs: the single grunt encourages them to move into a trailer or through a gate, the warning multiple grunts warn the young ones that they are getting too boisterous and need to back off.
Pig whisperer?  ;) :pig: :pig: :pig:

The project i am undertaking is into 'anticipatory' pig vocalisations, and whether these are universal amongst unrelated herds.  e.g., does pig A make the same anticipatory vocalisation that Pig B, 30 miles away makes? Results are very interesting so far thanks to the survey and my own observations, but i don't have a full picture yet!

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 01:40:02 pm »
Oh, interesting.  We are down to just 4 pigs at the moment, but they are all related.  But we had the boar here recently and he comes from an hour's drive away.  He made noises that were different to our pigs - but they were sucking tusk noises as if he was saying 'Cooorrrrrr, Giz a kissy lovvey!'  We are hoping to get some new weaners in soon - probably a different breed.  We'll see if there are any differences between them when they arrive if you like?
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »
'Cooorrrrrr, Giz a kissy lovvey!'

I really really hope any pig I get talks like this!  :roflanim:

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:00 pm »
'Cooorrrrrr, Giz a kissy lovvey!'

I really really hope any pig I get talks like this!  :roflanim:

William was a pig of magnificence and presence.  You could not ignore him when in his company.   His whole 'upper' body reminded me of Mr Incredible - actually even down to the slimmer hips!  When he wanted to tell a woman he found her attractive, he didn't mess about.  My friend Gretel almost vomited at the smell of testosterone, and was in awe at the amount of foam he was producing at the mount, tusks on show and pawing at the ground to be allowed into the girls' pen.  And we were not hanging around - believe me!  In fact, on watching him make his introductions to the ladies, Gretel was heard to observe 'Not very Farrow and Ball here, is it?!'   :roflanim:
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS