Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aborted lambs/after birth  (Read 7523 times)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Aborted lambs/after birth
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:36 am »
Everyone should have ferrets!  ;)  I only have 15 now, but wouldn't be without them. Afterbirths are a funny thing to have to dispose of, my boss used to sling them in the hedge for the foxes/crows which I found odd as you don't want those kind of visitors around your lambing plot!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:34 am »
Everyone should have ferrets!
I second that! :)  We only have one, but I would have a dozen given half the chance.  I will have to try tempting ours with the afterbirth, I'd not thought of that before.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:14 am »
Everyone should have ferrets!  ;)  I only have 15 now, but wouldn't be without them. Afterbirths are a funny thing to have to dispose of, my boss used to sling them in the hedge for the foxes/crows which I found odd as you don't want those kind of visitors around your lambing plot!
It's a fine line.  The foxes and crows are there anyway, so the theory is that if there's something for them that you don't mind them eating, then they don't have to start stealing things you don't want them to have.  But if you take that too far, you just fuel the vixen to have another litter, the cubs to stick around, etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS