Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aborted lambs/after birth  (Read 7522 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Aborted lambs/after birth
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:46 pm »
I have been frantically reading as much as I can before I lamb for the first time.
In Tim Tynes book he says that if a lamb is aborted pick it up in your gloved hand and turn the glove inside out and dispose of it in the usual way. What is the usual way?
Does the ewe eat the afterbirth or is that dealt with in the same way, whatever that is.
thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Aborted lambs/after birth
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:06 pm »
I'd expect it to go to a fallen stock company, bit expensive though for 1 aborted lamb.
Ask a friendly farmer if it can go with his next collection.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
I've noticed ewes eating afterbirth - certainly I don't find a lot of it lingering about on pasture.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:16 pm »
The usual way for us is to the local Hunt kennels - same price as the knackerman but much quicker.  I think the ewe is pre-programmed to eat the afterbirth in case it attracts badgers, foxes, crows, ravens, etc., which would be very happy to attack a newborn lamb.  We always lamb ewes in individual pens and collect up the afterbirth ourselves - I don't think it's the most easily digestible thing in the world!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:24 pm »
Eating cleansing is a breed thing, my x ewes inside very few eat them most are picked up and disposed of, outside a few more will eat it ( my dogs , foxes , birds love them )  on the hill most ewes will clean up but since most give birth to single's the cleansing is smaller. IT is very rare but sheep and cows can choke and die trying to eat it

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
We left the afterbirth and it was mainly eaten by the ewes .... my son thought it was all really disgusting  ::) :roflanim: .

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:38 pm »
I lamb outside and see no reason to go looking for it over the lambing fields when I have lambs to catch and tag etc. On the rare occasions I do notice it on the deck, it isn't there for long. I suppose one of the nice things about outdoor lambing is that no two ewes seem to use the same spot so the risk of contamination is slight - I certainly wouldn't disturb a ewe who is dealing with her newborns and placenta to get it - I don't like interfering at all, but if I do it'll be when the lambs are cleaned, up and have been sucking for hours - rejections aside.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
Afterbirth gets eaten in my experience.
If I were to have an aborted lamb it would be double wrapped and of to the vets for a pm. Being potentially very infectious I would not want to risk moving it between holdings etc so if I were not asking for a pm I would take it for incineration.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:10 pm »
Hi Sally,
Douglas Bros in Lampeter will collect fallen stock for you, but you can also take to them I believe. A bit pricey now, but cheaper than being in the fallen livestock scheme.  Treat aborted lambs with extreme care because you don't know why they have been aborted. They can also be disposed of in the same way.
PM.
Kaz

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:26 am »
If you have a fallen stock company nearby, they may let you take it in yourself - ours only charged pennies for a dead lamb - and it saves waiting for collection.

But for something really ghastly, look up sheep placenta- cosmetics :o :o .  The things some women do for vanity ??? .

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »
If you have a fallen stock company nearby, they may let you take it in yourself - ours only charged pennies for a dead lamb - and it saves waiting for collection.

But for something really ghastly, look up sheep placenta- cosmetics :o :o .  The things some women do for vanity ??? .
That last bit sounds so ghastly, I'm not going to look it up. :o  My imagination will runaway with that thought. :-J
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
I managed to pick up one afterbirth last year out of five and put it on the compost heap. It's composted beautifully :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:19:28 pm »
Bionic, was reading through some smallholding mags. from a year or so ago, which I kept as they had articles on lambing. It says that the afterbirth if not eaten should be incinerated.

HTH

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:59 pm »
My ferrets enjoy any I pick up, they relish it!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »
Well as I don't have ferrets I will follow the advice from ITH,
thanks guys
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS