Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and chickens........ I has an Idea!  (Read 8520 times)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Re: Sheep and chickens........ I has an Idea!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 09:53:02 pm »
i seem to get lots of lapwings in my top field, lots of gullies and bobby bits of grass to hide in. they seem to prefer mine to the neat and tidy field next door  ;D
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »
I se lapwings about. I'd often wondered if the sheer volume of pheasants about here did a similar thing...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
Could be right, I keep both and never had a problem with fluke

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:40 am »
I'd love to have free-range chickens but don't think they'd last five minutes with our fox population!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 01:45:57 am »
Something I've been thinking about for a while -
in the 'old days' grazing stock was moved round the pastures, helping to keep parasites down.

My master plan had been to follow the goats with the lambs I'd got last year, thinking they would 'mop up' any larvae, then giving land about 6weeks rest, but I've been told they would cause more of a worm problem, so that idea is out the window.
I have 8 geese, these graze much more closely than the goats, possibly not closer than sheep  :-\ , would they keep parasites down? or, as someone suggeted, could they spread coccidioss (sp?), I thought they would be different strains till she said that, now I'm worried.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 10:55:14 am »
rotational grazing is very good for keeping parasite loads down. The reason you can't follow goats with sheep is that they are susceptible to the same parasites. There's a chap called Joel Salatin who has a rotational grazing set up that involves strip grazing the animals and following them with chickens in moveable arks. A lot of the permaculture sites have info on this.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »
Something I've been thinking about for a while -
in the 'old days' grazing stock was moved round the pastures, helping to keep parasites down.

My master plan had been to follow the goats with the lambs I'd got last year, thinking they would 'mop up' any larvae, then giving land about 6weeks rest, but I've been told they would cause more of a worm problem, so that idea is out the window.
I have 8 geese, these graze much more closely than the goats, possibly not closer than sheep  :-\ , would they keep parasites down? or, as someone suggeted, could they spread coccidioss (sp?), I thought they would be different strains till she said that, now I'm worried.

I think poultry cocci are a different beast to the one that infects sheep.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 11:46:21 pm »

I think poultry cocci are a different beast to the one that infects sheep.

I thought that, but one of the goats worm counts came back low level cocci, when I mentioned it to a friend, asking if I needed to medicate the goat, my goat and poultry keeping friend said - 'if you have poultry you'll have cocci on the land anyway', I thought it sounded a bit odd, anyway I'll carry on running the goats and geese followers then.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:58 am »
cocci is species specific. Rabbits also carry it and I don't think there are many areas of grazing with a bunny count of 0.

Poultry cocci won't infect sheep or goats nor vice versa.
It USED to be believed that all cocci were the same and that is what is written in a lot of the old stock keepers books but new findings show otherwise :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
Thanks. much happier now.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS