Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with a shoulder of pork  (Read 7261 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What to do with a shoulder of pork
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:54 am »
Alistair,
I have a leg of air dried ham hanging at the moment. Its been there since the end of Sept. I am supposed  to give it another couple of months before I try it but the suspense is killing me  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:54 am »
Go on - give it a try.
We started on our chorizo last week but have 6 saucisson ( rosette) hanging up that should be ready in the next couple of weeks. They look great but were still a little soft to the touch last week. Last year we weighed them frequently and started on them when they had lost 30% in weight but a lot of the detail has gone out of our "smallholding" in recent times. We now do things when they seem to be right.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:50 pm »
Bionic, you could try it already now - just slice a bit off the end and then cover it up again and hang it back. When you try it again in 2 months time, you'll find the flavour will be (slightly) different, the older it is the stronger it is. But 5 months is quite allright to start nibbling away on it  :yum:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »
Eve, MAK, I might just give it a go soon  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:40 pm »
Just love roast pork and will have a go at the Chinese red cooked recipe. A few weeks ago we had a family get together. I minced some of our pork to make home made sausage rolls which went down a treat with everyone. Just added herbs,salt and pepper.Now the family want me to make more for Easter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS