Author Topic: Cheeks  (Read 2992 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Cheeks
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:03 pm »
Hi
 Has anyone got a cheap & cheerful idea for pigs cheeks, other than my usual casserole / stew - No wine though, as I'm hoping all the kids will eat it too!   Something simple as I'm not that great in the kitchen  :D
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Re: Cheeks
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
 Yes, make Guanciale, (Italian style air dried bacon).  It’s really easy, because the cheek is thin there are no worries about anything going off.  Loads of recipes on the internet but we make it last with following for 3 cheeks.

(7% by weight of meat) salt. Standard cooking salt would do or you could use a cure salt from (http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk) or similar
(7% by weight of meat) dark brown sugar
5 bay leaves ground
20 black peppercorns ground
1 tspn Allspice
3 cloves garlic

We trim up cheeks of extra bits including glands, weigh out the cure mix, pop the cheek and the cure in a plastic bag and into the fridge for 10-20 days (turning when you remember).  Take it out and discard liquid, give a quick rinse to get excess salt off (not too thorough), poke a hole through for sting and hang it up in the utility room or somewhere cool.
It should really be air dried for a couple of months at least, but ours rarely makes it that far.  It makes the absolute best spaghetti sauces, adds body to almost any stew or casserole. 
To be honest the cheeks and the shanks (for making a version of Ossobucco) are my favourite parts of the pig
NB (By weight of meat) if your cheeks are 1kg (1000g) you would need 70g of salt to make 7% BWOM

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:08 pm »
this reipe sounds fantastic! I have a question though which may sound really stupid but do you dust your ham??? I have dried herbs hanging in my small storeroom and i find they get really dusty!

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:59:39 pm »
No, I don't dust it, I do give a quick rinse when I've cut a bit off though before I use it for cooking.
I suppose you could hang it in one of those cheese cages, that would cut down dust but still leave airflow. Either way it doesn't last long enough to get too dusty.
Do try at least one though, I'm sure you will like it.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
I agree, guanciale is a great use for pigs' cheeks.  :thumbsup:  Use it in any recipe that could use the added body (flavourwise) of a bit of bacon, or replace bacon with guanciale - it makes for a great spaghetti carbonara  :yum:

Our hams hang in pillow cases up in our loft, things don't really get dusty up there.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:25 pm »
I made guanciale too this year - just delicious.  When I took it out of the salt cure and hung it, I covered it with black pepper as they do in Italy.  Possibly protects from dust and the odd fly!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
Yes, pepper is supposed to protect against bugs. We used to do it with our hams - lard, then pepper, then in a pillow case. Now it's just lard and the pillow case.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:42 pm »
Sound delicious - Thank you, and it's simple enough even for my cooking talents, or lack of...  :innocent: 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS