Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cut Flowers  (Read 3051 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Cut Flowers
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:27 pm »
Hi
 Our eldest daughter would like to sell her own cut flowers at the gate, I'm more familiar with herbs & grasses so my knowledge of what would be fairly easy & quick for her to start with is limited... Any advice? 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Cut Flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:46 pm »
Hi
 Our eldest daughter would like to sell her own cut flowers at the gate, I'm more familiar with herbs & grasses so my knowledge of what would be fairly easy & quick for her to start with is limited... Any advice?

Ooooh lots of things!

Sweet peas for sure, sunflowers pinched out so you get smaller heads, gladioli, pinks, ladies mantle.
Statice and helichrysums (sp?) Are all easy to grow and lovely when picked :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:44:55 pm »
Grow some gypsophilia to mix with the bunches too.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:53 pm »
Thank you - I've just let her look at marshalls seeds online & she has put £46.00 worth of flowers into my basket!  ::)   Mostly sweet peas - she is really taken with them, and some hardy chrysanths.  I can't believe I didn't think of gypsophilia, my mother used to put into all of her vases when I was little.  Also,Ladies Mantle... we have some in the garden as I use it to make tea to help with my period pains - will look good with the sweet peas.
 At 7yrs old, I don't think i'll show her how paypal works yet though!!   :o
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
I so love flowers...they are the one and only thing I am ever tempted to pinch from the wild........near us, a few years ago now, there was a field full of sunflowers....I loved them in the house.......even my husband loves me to buy flowers but I  never appear to grow enough of them.....also, I would agree, if you can sell fillers like attractive leafs like Eucalyptus, pretty seed heads, colourful stalks etc, that would be  :wave: a bonus.....

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
Dahlias for the late summer.  They're big, blousy and easy to grow.  Your local dahlia society will probably be having a tuber or plant sale which will be cheaper than buying online.  They will also be very keen to help a youngster - lovely people !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS