Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sulphur candles advice  (Read 2779 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
sulphur candles advice
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »
candles have arrived, thanks SfS - and cheers for the postage refund for the 2nd candle  :)

Do I have to remove the top layer of soil after fumigation? If yes, can I put it on the compost? :&>

Re: sulphur candles advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:27 pm »
Hi,

No problem reference the postage, we always monitor what our system charges and refund any excess paid.

The instructions dont mention anything about removing the top layer of soil, and when I have used these I have not done so.

But please be aware of all the other warnings on the tin, especially regarding removal of all plants, fish and shiny things before use, and staying out for the prescribed period of time.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
time is near for them....
on the tin it says to remove all plants except dormant peach (??) trees, what about olive, apple and figs? I also have mint growing in the ground, do I have to dig it all up or will I not be able to use it once it starts growing? Can I put stuff that comes out of the tunnel after on the compost? I just have no idea how toxic this is ,e.g.  for chickens if they eat it from the compost...If you don't know, where can I find more detailed advice? :&>

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:22:43 pm »
Hi - I have asked the lab at the manufacturers to email me the Hazard Data Sheet - Ill post a link when I have it.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:59:49 pm »
OK, Check out the HDS at this link (Document will remain there for 1 week) http://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/PDF/Sulphur_candle.pdf

It would appear that the main problems occur with breathing the fumes - no hazards are mentioned about residual traces left behind.

To be on the safe side I would remove ALL plants from the area to be treated - or they may die.

Thanks

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
Thanks, very much appreciated, SfS!  :&>

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »
You are most welcome  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS