Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck bath suggestions please!  (Read 18088 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Duck bath suggestions please!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:58 pm »
I've got the same dog bath as well and sunk it down in the summer. Mine has a plug in it so I can reach in and pull that out and let some of the water drain out before tipping out the rest. All worked well until November time when I had to take it out of the run for obvious, muddy reasons. It's currently out on the field so they have access to it when they're free ranging and I've put a range of crates/ramps around it so the geese and ducks can get in and out. Strangely one of the ducks can get in without needing to stand on anything whereas the geese need to work their way up to it (even though they've found a way of flopping into the plastic trug that's still in their run). Anyhow, it will go back in again once life dries out a bit and in the meantime I just have a plastic washing up bowl and the garden trug in with them for head washing purposes (although the washing up bowl is rubbish because it gets turned over early in the day and is prone to frost damage as you've found). Cattle foot baths look great for smaller ducks but wouldn't do for my geese who absolutely love the dog bath so it's staying!

H

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 01:58:07 am »
I also used the shell shaped sand pit and paddling pool and my ducks had no problems getting in and out. they were big birds though. Easy to clean and no problems with frost as yet.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:55 am »
I think ours are just weird. We only have three at the moment, and whilst one goes up the wee ramp and has a swim every morning, the other two never bother with the dog bath. They did love the cement tray though, which is why I'm looking for a more robust replacement.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:20 am »
We have a turtle sandpit. Free from a friend, the ducks love it. Look on free cycle

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:10:17 pm »
We got a sturdy rectangular "tank" about 70cm x 45cm from Lakeland that was designed for soaking oven shelves or something similar that I don't do.  Our pond has a sloping bank of flattish stones about 5cm across that the (wild) ducks walk on quite easily and which keep the ground from getting mucky and muddy.

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:17 am »
I'd use a blue plastic barrel (just cos we still have some Womble, I'm sure I could spare you one  ;)) cut a cross section lengthways, slightly less than half so you've got a shallower area and stop it tipping by screwing it (along the very top to stop the water leaking) to some longer lengths of wood. Or, if you didn't want the wood, dig a hole and line it with sand to support it (the sand wouldn't stick to it like mud does and makes it easier to lift and empty)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 07:36:03 pm »
We used these, because for the money you get two ponds for the ducks. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650691.htm

In fact, we still have at least one half left, and don't have any ducks, so if you want one to try out....  You're welcome to it.

We use the dog bath for a water trough in the goats field.

Beth

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
We use paddling pool from Argos shaped like a shell also. You get two for fifteen pounds. My son likes the other!

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »
we have the same as ballingall, (ours are pink lol)the ducks had one and the geese had the other..( before we moved to our new place where they have the stream and large pond). Now they are used for any ducklings that are born we just have a log at either side and a brick inside so they can get in and out easier, we have had our for 3 yrs now and not had any problems with the frost.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:11 am »
I also used the shell shaped sand pit and paddling pool and my ducks had no problems getting in and out. they were big birds though. Easy to clean and no problems with frost as yet.

same here, the kids' old sandpit works a treat. Easy to tip over and clean, too, takes about 8 buckets of water, which is enough for them to have fun in. :&>

Reg henderson

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »
we use a trug for them to drink out of and an old berry barrel that i cut down to the depth i wanted with my grinder , we use the bottom of the barrel but could do the same with the top with the lid on , makes a very ridged bath for them and free from a berry farm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS