Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck bath suggestions please!  (Read 18090 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Duck bath suggestions please!
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:54 pm »
Hi everybody,  I need your help!

Until now, we've been using a seconds quality "QPS" dog bath for our ducks, which I bought from Ebay:

Now, I won't knock this, since it's worked very well indeed. However, it's a bit tall for our ducks, and currently only one will go up the wee ramp I made and have a swim. The rest just hang about the side and drink, but struggle to get their heads fully immersed. This is hardly ideal, since I feel I have to leave a small bucket of water out too so they can preen and blow their noses properly.

So, I went on the lookout for something a bit shallower, and the best I could find was this cement mixing tray from Homebase:

This wasn't cheap by any means (£18.50), but I hoped it would last a while.  Unfortunately when I tried to empty it out this morning the cold had made it too brittle, and I cracked a large section off the rim.

So, I'm now looking for something of a similar size but hopefully a bit more robust in the cold.  Any suggestions folks?  :idea:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Duck bath suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:11 pm »
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:16:57 am »
we use a sheep footbath too, and it is filled by rain water from the shed roof and emptied whenever it gets dirty also for dotting around the yard shallow trugs for a fiver
Ian

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:00 am »
We use childrens sand pits (Hippo / Tortoise etc)  with a wooden ramp up on two sides.  The green hippo shape is more sturdy than the pink shell type.  Our muscovys & Aylesburys have no problems.   Having guttering & pipe from the shed roof going into the pool also helps keep it topped up.
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:50 am »
For smaller ducks Lakeland do a sort of washing up bowl with a plug in the bottom.  You could also take a saw to an old water butt.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
Hi,I have the same bath as you,I sunk it in the ground them just pump the dirty water onto my flower beds.

Graham.
Graham.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:26:05 am »
Good idea Marches Farmer!

My goats feeding troughs are made from blue barrels that I split in half lengthwise. Even the pigs couldn't destroy them!

If you found a way to stop them rocking they would be ideal :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:59 am »
We do exactly the same as Fairhaven and we found a cast iron bath in the woods that we lugged down the hill ( in 30 degrees) and dug it into the ground.
We cover the deep bath when we have ducklings and the wooden pallets ( and some bricks inside the "sandpit" pool means ducklings can get in and out with little risk of drowning.
Sandpit - water can be changed without too much fuss.
bath - we have to pump it out then clean it and refill from our large water butt.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:33 am »
Good ideas folks - keep them coming!

Graham - I did think about sinking the bath into the ground a bit, but I like to move it about so the area around it doesn't get too mucky. Also it's far easier just to tip it out than pump the water away. For those of you who do pump it, what kind of pump do you use?

The washing up bowl looks a bit small, but if I could find a slighly shorter sheep bath, that would work.  Free or cheap is good of course, but I don't mind spending a cash on something that's going to last.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:02:11 pm »
The bath we sunk was one of those short but deep ones shaped as a seat ( from the distant past). Hard work but the ducks love a dip in it.
PUMP - we got it from Homebase for about £10.99 !! the hose cost £19.99 ! and the mains extension lead was about the same. Not a great solution for you but then we needed a pump to irrigate the garden from a stream and empty the soakaway in the winter.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

CaroleBulmer

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Barrington, Somerset
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:27:13 pm »
We normally visit local car boot sales / charity shops an purchase baby baths there are a variety out there and are ideal for our ducks, whilst the geese love the paddling pool we bagged at another sale. 

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
Hi,I sunk mine in the ground and then concreted around it slopping it towards the bath,I then hose all the muck into the bath then pump all the waist away.
I bought the cheapest dirty water pump I could get from screw fix.

Graham.

Graham.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:42 pm »
I use the QSB dog bath and have some logs and a ramp I made ducks love it

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36:08 pm »
Our ducks have a kiddies Turtle sand pit, sturdy and serves the purpose.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:47:02 pm »
I have a paddling pool similar to this as a little pond  http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3653241.htm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS